NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forklift start issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forklift start issue
    Posted: April-13-2023 at 10:08am
I have an old propane forklift that fires and runs a bit rough.  First issue I have noticed is when cranking there is very little fire but when i release the key from the start function it tends to have more fire power and will start.  If I don't release the key from the start position it continues to crank and does not start.  Anyone have an idea of where to look for the gremlin?
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2023 at 11:43am
Umm Bill............try forkliftfan.com  Wink

Sounds to me like internal contact issues in the keyswitch and the keyswitch itself should get replaced as a starting point anyways.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2023 at 8:31am
Ken

I tried the other site....just did not seem to be of much  interest to me! Wink
Thanks for the tip.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2023 at 9:25am
I can't quite remember but I think there's a solenoid before or after the regulator that only allows propane flow when the ignition switch is in the on or start positions.  Which goes back to Ken's key switch suggestion, making sure the switch is ok and wired correctly for this.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2023 at 9:28am
BTW what year and make?  We run a few '90's era Hysters at work, but I have a Towmotor from the '50's I think that I can't bear to get rid of, haven't run it in years but was in pretty good running condition.  I always think I'll find some need for it but so far that need hasn't cropped up.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2023 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Ken

I tried the other site....just did not seem to be of much  interest to me! Wink
Thanks for the tip.

I was gonna send you to planetforklift.com but that's mostly newer high tech forklifts Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic