NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bilge Pump Replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bilge Pump Replacement?
    Posted: February-09-2023 at 1:01pm
My bilge pump died last fall.  There are no markings on it so I have no idea what flow rate it is.  I know, just buy a big honkin' pump but that comes at a cost.  Any idea what a stock or standard GPH might have been?  Dont want to break the bank but dont want to wait two days to get the boat pumped out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2023 at 1:07pm
I'd figure 500 GPH is plenty, 800 GPH for some overkill.  Wink
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2023 at 4:36pm
Might be a good time to wire in an automatic float switch (if none present). Not hard to wire. I mounted a pump and switch to an aluminum plate that rests securely on the floor (wooden Dunphy). No holes to drill. Works great, allows overnights in-water. 
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2023 at 4:40pm
or, an easier option....
https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Fully-Automatic-Bilge-Pump/dp/B001ALYFNQ
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2023 at 6:37pm
All set with the auto switch.  Boat came with a water witch sensor (vs float) separate from the pump.  That died on my a couple years ago.  Since pump was fine, I didnt buy an automatic pump, and I didnt trust the water witch, so I picked up a basic float switch.  That is still fine, so I am just replacing the pump with one I had laying around.  What a pain.  I can see the designers at CC sitting around the table discussing this.  It went something like this.  So, we're building a boat that will last about 50 years.  Lets put in a $30 pump that is bound to die after about 10 years, and lets put it in before the engine. Then, lets put the engine in over top of it so it is absolutely impossible to get to.  And also, lets use this terrible thin, fragile brittle plastic tubing for the pipe outlet. That way, when its time to replace the pump (which is impossible) the tubing will break every 10 seconds in about 10 places while they try to get it hooked back up to the new pump.  Yup, great design.  All that being said, the pump you linked looks like a good deal for an 850 gph automatic pump.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2023 at 6:58pm
I think a couple or few pictures are in order  Wink

Or do you have to pretty up the bilge first?

Almost forgot to ask...............so how was your afternoon?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2023 at 1:23pm
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but .... I like the OEM type bilge pumps that run for a second every 2 minutes.  Yes, they use some power, but as I mentioned in another thread I've gone at least 10 days between starts with the boat at the dock and not enough battery drain to make starting an issue.

What I like is that with any float switch bilge pump I've used, you need a bit of water to raise the float, which then brings the level down.  On the pumps that just run for a second sensing a load from water pumping, the water level stays lower, never has to rise to lift a float.  So for skiing they (I have 2 in the Sport) seem to keep the water level way down.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic