Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fuel line for quik Fuel m600

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel line for quik Fuel m600
    Posted: February-05-2023 at 1:04pm
I have a 94 Ski Nautique. Long ago converted to a regular carb set up. Has been running great, but now refuses to start. Starts right up and runs great when adding fuel directly to carb. Checked the usual suspects for fuel issues like the anti siphon valve, the fuel pump, the filter at the 4160 carb and pulled the carb bowls to check the needle seats. Appears the float in the primary carb bowl is out of whack. Blowing through the bowl feed was very restricted. Checked the float, no cracks or gas inside. Not sure what would make that float level change. Eh, whatever. But I'm tired of draining and pulling the bowl to adjust the float (not like I do that very often). It is just a hassle and the gasket usually needs to be replaced. While I'm confident I can adjust the float to the proper level I decided to buy a Quik Fuel M600 Marine Carb. So much easier to set the float level with the sight glass and the exterior adjustment and it will look spiffy :)

I know my hard fuel line to the 4160 won't fit to the Quik Fuel carb. Not sure I want to try and bend it and find an elbow for the Quik Fuel. Thinking a rated flexible fuel hose is in order. I don't know what the regulations are. Can I use barbed fittings and rated hose or should I find a premade hose with fittings. A little advice would be appreciated. If a premade hose is required by regulation can anyone provide a link to the appropriate item? 

Had to ride behind another boat yesterday. 71 air / 51 water with bright sun. San Diego doesn't suck. Want to get my boat back out there!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 1:52pm
Here's a link to an old thread

It has links in that thread to a SkiDim flexible line and also a Sierra 18-8115 flexible line both USCG approved.

Or like you said, using USCG approved rubber hose A1-15 or A1-10 for example with barbed fittings and hose clamps in perfectly A-OK Wink

Click on the link below for some reading on USCG/ABYC fuel line regs. There's a link or 2 in that thread that'll get you the regs (page 2 about 6 posts down)

nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2023 at 2:06pm
Thank you Keno! My Googlefu wasn't finding that old thread and I'm stoked to check out the USCG regs too. 
FrankBee3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankBee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 1:38pm
A couple of years ago, I installed a Quickfuel M-600 carb on my 84 Ski Nautique. I ended up installing a marine flex fuel line after trying to bend then later trying to fabricate a copper fuel line. I was able to bend the line alright, but was unable to achieve a good flare on the line that would seal properly. So, I gave up and bought a 90 degree barb fitting for the card and one for the fuel pump.

I found the Quickfuel M600 set perfectly in every way right out of the box. I may have adjusted the idle rpm by 50 rpm or so and the idle mixture screws were within a 1/4 turn of being perfect. I suspect you will be very happy with the new carb..
1984 Ski Nautique, project bigger than anticipated
Staring down a stringer and floor replacement
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 2:31pm
I am counting the days until my carb arrives. I splurged on the Sierra fuel hose with fittings. Definitely a bit more expensive than the barbed fittings and hose option. But it is coming with free shipping from Amazon, so that isn't bad. Still a little confused why my float setting changed. I haven't been rocking down any rough roads so far this year, so it wasn't getting bounced around.  Saved a bunch of money picking up a refurbed M600 directly from Holley. I'm guessing they know what they are doing! Found it on EBay for $425. I'll post up a comment about the refurbed carb after I get it. 

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 5:52pm
You will love the QuickFuel carb.  As I operate at 4,200 feet, I dropped 2 jet sizes in both the primary and secondary metering blocks in my M-600.  With the new jets, the out-of-the-box settings were just about perfect.  The only hiccup I had with my M-600 came when a small sliver of brass got stuck in the needle/seat assembly of the primary fuel bowl.  I changed the "bad" needle/seat with a free replacement from Holley.  The rogue brass sliver was likely a left-over from a machining process somewhere.  

This may or may not be approved by the USCG, but I went to a local hydraulic hose shop and had them make me a fuel line with the proper fittings on both ends.  I went a few inches longer than the Sierra flex fuel hose as I wanted some flexibility for routing the line.  For safety, I had the fuel line enclosed in a stainless steel braided sleeve.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 8:14am
Originally posted by nobrainsd nobrainsd wrote:

. Saved a bunch of money picking up a refurbed M600 directly from Holley. I'm guessing they know what they are doing! Found it on EBay for $425. I'll post up a comment about the refurbed carb after I get it. 

Holley sells them through their website too if anybody is curious.

Here's a link to the refurbished M-600  Today they're not in stock, probably because somebody named Kelson bought the last one they had in stock just recently. Wink

mosinee77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosinee77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 11:46am
I also have an M600 on the way for my 302 in my '77 Mustang 17.

I'm curious though on the fuel line. I have a huge pile of AN style fittings and braided hose from my various street/strip car projects. I was just planning on using AN style fittings and hose to make up a fuel line. I've never had any leaks or issues with ones I have made, so not sure on the reason for the hyd. crimped hoses being mentioned. Is it just being a "CG Approved" thing where AN is not approved (even though it will work just fine)?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 6:48pm
It's not really a question of whether you'll have a leak at a fitting, but whether the hose you use can withstand the "fire test" to get USCG certification.

Click on the link below and you can read about the test starting on page 117   Around page 52 is where hoses and fittings are discussed 

Kinda in a nutshell, the hose has to withstand a flame of 648 degrees Centigrade (1200 degrees Fahrenheit) for 2 1/2 minutes with no leakage.

The 2 1/2 minutes gives you time to try an extinguisher, mumble something like "sheet that didn't work" get everybody in life jackets and swim as fast as you can so you can watch the boat burn to the water line from a safe distance if it's a real bad day.

The USCG A10 or A15 hose will do that, the various different braided hoses out there, may or may not.

Some braided hoses like those on a GT40 Fuel Control Cell are braided with a SS outer layer, probably over a hose that meets the USCG spec and there's a little vinyl band on the hose that says it meets the specs. The fittings are crimped on.

Now whether you want to trust your judgement or somebody else's about the fire resistance of the non tested, non approved hose you may want to use, that's up to you.Wink

The USCG hose is a little bigger in OD than the equivalent size braided stuff and a real pain in the butt to make work with the typical AN fittings, but not impossible if that helps any.

I think an AN fitting fits in the sleeve and threaded insert category and is OK.
mosinee77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosinee77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2023 at 8:16am
Thanks for the Link and the reasoning KENO. This was more or less what I assumed must be a possible reason, but is interesting to know the fire specifications. 

What's on it now is the original steel line, and I can also make another steel line easy enough with the proper flares as another option to the flexible line. 
FrankBee3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankBee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2023 at 10:38pm
I used to live in La Mesa. Do you use your boat in Mission Bay, or stay in the fresh water?

I didn't have enough room for a boat while living in La Mesa. I would have liked water skiing in the Colorado River for sure.

You did well getting a refurb M600. I ended up buying mine new as I didn't notice any refurbs available. As far as your float setting, you should have 5 psi fuel pressure into the carb. If any more than 7psi, your needle and seat may have a hard time controlling the float level. The instructions that come with the carb are complete and will discuss that. Be sure to keep your old Holley, they are getting expensive. Last I checked, the marine 4160 was around $700 from Skidim. The Quickfuel new M-600 was at least $100 less expensive than the Holley when I bought the QF about 3 years ago.
1984 Ski Nautique, project bigger than anticipated
Staring down a stringer and floor replacement
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2023 at 12:04pm
FrankBee3,
My boat was bought to be a salt water vessel. Installed a closed cooling system right off. Definitely have had more maintenance required with the salt water exposure, but mostly cosmetic stuff like my hydrofoil racks getting some minor pitting. I live 5 minutes from Mission Bay so I purchased a less expensive boat. My friends have the big party boats that hit San Vicente reservoir a lot. But everyone likes to come out and spin the bay! We own it all winter, though right now we are waiting for all of the storm debris to wash up onshore. 

My M600 carb and the Sierra fuel line have arrived. The fuel line looks well made and fits perfectly. The carb looks absolutely brand new. Holley says you might find some tool marks or other light wear on their refurbished carbs, but I can't see anything on it all. Sweet!

I would be writing my comments on how well it runs out of the box, but I found that my Perfect Pass cable was breaking at the end where it connects to the throttle cable. The cable was flexing up in the neutral position. I had a zip tie that was holding it down and in position, but forgot to replace it when I removed the zip tie during some other work which let it flex at the end fitting. Down to two strands. Looked at the whole PP knob/braided line/cable/fitting assembly. There was some wear on the braided take up line too and a crack in the edge of the knob. I suppose PP would supply a new assembly, but postage and transit from Canada are a pain. So I have a new knob, 100 ft of braided line with a very low stretch poly core and aluminum crimps coming from Mc Master Carr. I have lots of braided line already, but getting the low/non stretch braided line is absolutely a must to keep the PP working properly. Anyone need a bit? I seem to have a lot coming Monday morning :) I will only use a few inches. Oddly enough the PP knob has the line attached by stuffing it into the knob body and filling it with epoxy. Kind of a DIY look, but that combined with a small crack got me to spend the $1.98 for a new knob since I figure I would bust it trying to removing the line and epoxy fill. 

I will practice using imgbb so I can post some photos. Hope to get the boat fired up Monday and will post how the carb runs out of the box. Big thank you to Keno for the fuel line info. Great to have it in hand at the same time as the carb. Would have cost me more than $10 in gas to hit my local marine supply store, so ordering the complete item was a pretty good deal. Hoping I don't find anything else that would hold me up and keep das boot out of the water!

nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2023 at 7:24pm
Fixed my Perfect Pass cable. Bolted the Quik Fuel on. Really stoked to see the correct fuel levels through the sight windows. Started right up. Fuel line works great. Mildly annoyed I have work for the next two days. Can't wait to get out and ride :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic