Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

little screws for bimini top

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: little screws for bimini top
    Posted: October-24-2022 at 3:37pm
i need those little set screws for the bimini top joints.  The don't have a head.  It is the end of the thread that is the stop. They are a flat screwdriver fit. Where can i get them and if not does anyone know what thread they are and I can search for them or make them.
Thanks
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2022 at 7:16pm
McMaster-Carr

www.McMaster.com is your friend.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2022 at 10:44pm
Second on McMaster.  

New set screws are likely going to be Torx, not a straight screwdriver style.  Torx is a significant improvement in your ability to tighten or remove them in the future. I would replace them all while you are working on the top.  

If any are still in their sockets, take one to an ace hardware store.  My local ace has a size chain with bolt and nut threads hanging in the bolt isle that you can screw your set screw into and find out the thread size.  
Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2022 at 8:01am
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

i need those little set screws for the bimini top joints.  The don't have a head.  It is the end of the thread that is the stop. They are a flat screwdriver fit. Where can i get them and if not does anyone know what thread they are and I can search for them or make them.
Thanks

How about a picture of these joints and/or screws so everybody knows what you're talking about?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2022 at 9:35am
The boat is wrapped, but I can go get in there in the next few days to get a closeup.  I didn't plan poorly I'm just sloppy.  I removed one of the screws before wrapping it so I could measure the threads and find it at a hardware store or order it.  I put in in my wallet so I wouldn't' loose it.  I lost it.  
On the upside it's these actions where I frustrate myself that convince my wife I'm not being passive aggressive when I mess up things she needs.
I was hoping it was a standard screw for Bimini frames. Here is a pic of the joint I am talking about.

'97 21' Sport Nautique
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2022 at 4:32pm
OK so not a set screw.  Can't really see it but likely a short oval head (not flat, not pan), top of screw has a slight crown, kind of like the top of your head.  Most boating stores sell them in stainless.

Or:  https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/head-type~oval/

Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2022 at 5:17pm
Are these the little screws in the link below?  Make sure you look at the top view and the side view.

link

If not a quick surf around their site will probably find what you're looking for Wink
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2022 at 7:24am

Is this your boat?  Looks like you don't have a PEF Plaque for it! ??

I'm your Man !
mtmabe@northstate.net

Marty Mabe
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2022 at 10:26am
You NEED one of Marty's PEF plaques...
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2022 at 8:09am
I went into the boat and got another one.  You can see why I called them set screws.  It's the short thread that stops them in the right place.  The thread is 1/4-28. it's about 3/4" long.  I grabbed some button head stainless phillips ones at the hardware store.  I'll put them in and see how they look in the spring.  If they look really bad I can pursue finding or making the right ones.  
Thanks for the help. 

'97 21' Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic