NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing..

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing..
    Posted: September-18-2022 at 11:27am
I find it interesting Ron Tanis promotes laying up the engine in a dry state. Good point on the t-stat comment. Thoughts?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

I find it interesting Ron Tanis promotes laying up the engine in a dry state. Good point on the t-stat comment. Thoughts?

Shouldn't there be a link or something here.?

It must be time to start kicking the dead winterizing horse in the head once again Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 4:01pm
https://youtu.be/0PbDqI2glPA
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 4:12pm
Well, Ron talks about an engine full of water with the thermostat closed. 

Like he said that'll be a problem

Now take that same engine full of water, drain the engine and the manifolds, close up all the drain paths and suck up let's say 5 or 6 gallons of antifreeze and you'll fill the engine even with the thermostat shut and you'll fill the manifolds too, after the engine fills, then you'll have antifreeze coming out the back and you turn the engine off.

Then you can leave it, drain it or whatever you want to do

It's all been gone through numerous times here on CCF.Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 4:28pm
Exactly. I was just surprised he’s a proponent of just draining only. He did build my fist ski boat, which I still miss to this day :-(
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 4:56pm
Drain only club here
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 7:50pm
I’m a drain first. Run 5 or 6 gallons of anti freeze into it and drain it again kinda winterizer.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2022 at 3:54pm
I just park it in a temperature/humidity climate controlled storage, never had a problem. Big smile
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2022 at 8:04am
I'm a drain only club guy also...so thankful for my heated garage...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2022 at 3:59pm
Question,
Does adding antifreeze with a corrosion inhibitor after draining also help keep the cast block and heads from rusting?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2022 at 6:07pm
That’s a great question for KENO
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2022 at 6:30pm
I am an "air don't freeze" guy -- the fraternal twin of the drain only guys.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2022 at 12:11am
Drain only here on the Texas Gulf Coast. Installed easy drains in the engine block, exhaust manifolds, and under the thermostat housing a few years ago.

No problems during the big freeze in early 2021. May have simply gotten lucky...
1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2022 at 11:39am
I just leave my engine running all winter.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I just leave my engine running all winter.

Me too. I think we should recommend this to all winterizing questions. I also hook up the raw water pump inlet to a hot tub, and the exhaust water pumps back into the tub. Toasty.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2022 at 12:24pm
So that I can be completely inconsistent, I drain only my '63 and drain and pump antifreeze into my '98.  Except years I have warm storage for my '98, in which case I do neither.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2022 at 8:26pm
My new "Woke" boat I'm waiting to order will be all electric so I won't have to worry about these silly things.LOL
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2022 at 9:36pm
Just read one of the 97 winterizing question threads over on facebook.  55 responses so far....so far.  It makes my hair hurt to read many of those answers.  People over there know an awful lot, sadly, most of it is somewhere between wrong, stupid and ridiculous.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2022 at 9:54am
Winterizing questions are good, it means people want to protect their boats and are willing to ask to get it figured out.  Answering with bad info makes you wonder, how does that person answering get through a winter without a cracked block or manifold?

Share one of the worst answers here for kicks and grins.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2022 at 12:15pm
Actually it’s mostly cases of overkill vs under kill. A lot of guys saying pump 5-8 gallons of AF if not more. Some said take thermostat out. Most said pump till comes out, not explaining all that AF could be bypassing the block. One guy referred to “potable” AF. Yeah, drink up. Some CB guy drained, pumped I don’t know how many gallons then on top of all that, put a heater or bulb in box as well. There were some drain only advocates. Living in a moderate climate now, that’s all I do, as I’ll use my boat on nice winter days but the winterizing discussions with or without AF do make me wonder about the corrosion protection argument of using AF. Absolutely no one referred to the pour in method stated in the engine manual
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2022 at 12:33pm
At the Quest Ranch:

1. Place trailer and boat in climate-controlled garage
2. Disconnect battery
3. Open petcocks to drain block, manifolds and U-bend
4. Secure cover on boat
5. Take well-deserved nap after strenuous winterizing process. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Chrissn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2022 at 1:16pm
Wow!  I'm winterizing for the first time in over a decade.  I'm in central virginia, so we don't have terribly cold winters, but there are times when it can be below freezing over nights, but not usually days on end.  I'm curious about this no antifreeze approach because I think it could work for me.  

I also never fogged my engine, but maybe that goes back to my decade of no use?  I have done the marvel mystery in the carb, but that seems inconsistently done by you guys.

Thanks for the info!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic