Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

89 Barefoot Oil Leak (454)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Owen Foskitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen Foskitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89 Barefoot Oil Leak (454)
    Posted: August-13-2022 at 9:46pm
Need help, boats been leaking a good amount of oil. I have used the boat for about only 8 hours this year and have already needed to add a quart of oil. Bit of a backstory to my problem - I had a new mooring cover made for the boat and the guy ended up having the boat all winter. Boat was winterized properly except for me taking the drain plug out, because it was stuck (I am really dumb for not tending to this before I sent it away). I was supposed to get it back for thanksgiving last year then I was going to tend to it, but that never happened. He told me he was going to keep it inside a heated garage all winter, but took it out in the spring to work on my cover. I get my boat back in the middle of May to find my engine compartment filled to the brim with water. However I don't think the water froze because there is no cracks on anything in the bilge, and it hasn't sunk yet lol. I had to replace the starter, which was full of water, and ignition coil, moisture got to it. Now to the leak - I have found only 1 leak, at my oil filter which I believe is coming from the brass nut on top of it. Not sure what its purpose is. My bilge has this light brown oil water in it - a good amount of it as well. Oil pressure seems to be fine (about 40 psi at idle and like 70 - 80 psi underway). I am 18 and have practically no experience with engines and have only had the boat 2 summers now (0 issues with it last year) after it was handed down to me after my dad passed, who owned and maintained it himself for 20 plus years. Not sure if its hurting it because the boats running great but if it is I want to stop and fix it if I can.
Any solutions to this problem would be great 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2022 at 7:01am
The plug next to the light blue wire going to your oil pressure sending unit is a 3/8 NPT pipe plug. It looks like it's a cast iron plug, not brass

You must have done a good job of cleaning the oil around it if it's leaking.

You could replace the plug or take the old one out and use a good sealer like Permatex2 or an equivalent or use teflon  tape on the threads when you put it back in. Same sealer routine if you're putting a new plug in.

Seeing the color of that bilge water/oil mixture, I'd be curious what the oil on your dipstick looks like.

Does it have that same kinda gooey, emulsified oil/water look( looks like coffee with cream) or is it just oil?

Has the oil been changed since the water got so deep in the boat?

A picture of the oil on the dipstick against a white background like a paper towel would be good. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen Foskitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2022 at 9:00pm
Yea I changed the oil since then dip stick oil does not look thick like it does in the bilge 

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 6:09am
Did the oil you drained out look like the bilge mixture or plain oil?

Just asking because an oil leak would normally make an oil slick in the bilge and not look like your picture.

If it was an emulsified oil/water mix leaking from the engine, it would look like your picture does

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen Foskitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 10:11am
Oil I drained out was plain oil. Was black though because I used it a lot last year
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 7:52am
It must be time to fix the leak, clean the bilge and enjoy the boat then Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic