Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Pressure Sending Unit- CEL- Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Skifunseeker01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skifunseeker01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Pressure Sending Unit- CEL- Help
    Posted: July-30-2022 at 7:16am
My 1999 SN 196 with a GT 40 5.8 has the CEL is on and the boat goes into limp mode right at start up. Last week the CEL was going on after a set or two and the boat would go into limp mode but we would rev the engine up and it would stop. Folks here thought it was the oil sending unit so I I swapped that out, but with the new one the CEL is on at start up. The engine goes right to limp mode. Any thoughts? Bad sensor or is there a relay or something else I can reset or replace. I'll lose the boat to for the rest of the summer if it has to go to the shop. Any suggestions would be great. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skifunseeker01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2022 at 7:25am
I should add in that my oil pressure gauge is acting up too- I give it a tap on the dash and reads correctly, sometimes it bounces but that didn't put the engine in limp mode nor did it trigger the CEL. 

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2022 at 7:35am
You must be mixing up your websites, you haven't posted anything here since 2016 and it wasn't about this problem Wink

Limp mode doesn't get a signal from your oil pressure sending unit but there's a tee right at the unit that has an oil pressure switch in it.

That sends the signal to the computer for limp mode at 5 psi or less oil pressure or if the switch goes bad and fails in the low direction

If you're sure your pressure is good, unplug the switch and your light should go out and you won't be in limp mode any more.

There's also a water temperature switch that will put it in limp mode. That could get unplugged too.

At 205ish degrees that switch which is independent from the temperature sending unit puts you in limp mode.

Those are the only 2 things that put you in limp mode.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skifunseeker01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2022 at 9:36am
Keno, thanks for the info. I'll take a good look at the T and the oil pressure switch. I looked on Nautiques.com website and didn't see a replacement switch available- only the oil pressure sending unit- which I swapped out. Like I said, the oil pressure gauge is acting up but that shouldn't cause the limp mode. I hope it is just a simple fix. I'm off to the boat and will give a follow up. Cheers  Dave
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2022 at 12:09pm
If you unplug both the oil pressure and water temperature switches, you won't go into limp mode..........just call it troubleshooting to make sure everything else is good and go skiing hopefully Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skifunseeker01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2022 at 2:19pm
Keno- thanks for the short term fix and I did get my ski in. Thanks again. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2022 at 3:43pm
Here's the link to your long term fix Wink

link
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic