NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ignition on wiring harness warm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
steelynorm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelynorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ignition on wiring harness warm
    Posted: July-26-2022 at 11:38am
I have my spark plugs out of the block and valve cover off and i was rotating the engine with starter a 1/4 turn at a time as i was checking for any excessive play in my pushrods and valvetrain. 

Mind you i had the ignition on, but only rotated the crank about 3-4 full revolutions over 20-30 minutes.
I was going to call it night and turn off the ignition when my hand brushed the main wiring harness that runs on top of the block next too the starboard valve cover. is it normal for my main wiring harness to get pretty hot? 

1989 "2001" sold
1996 Sanger DLX sold
2001 Air nautique sold
1985 "2001" current and in limbo?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 7:04am
When the key is in the Run position, you're supplying the coil, the electric choke and the alternator excitation but none of those wires should get hot normally

Are you saying the key was in Run for 20 to 30 minutes without the engine running?

Or are you saying that you turned the key to Off after each time you bumped the engine over during that timeframe?.

I'd probably untape the harness and look at the wires to see if there's any obvious issue with insulation on the wires and if needed you could try duplicating the issue and feel the wires to find the hot one.
steelynorm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelynorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 11:41am
I had key in run position engine not running
1989 "2001" sold
1996 Sanger DLX sold
2001 Air nautique sold
1985 "2001" current and in limbo?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic