Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford 351W on a 1977 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford 351W on a 1977 Ski Nautique
    Posted: July-25-2022 at 9:27pm
Hello Fan Members, the board has always been super helpful. In fact I think the last time I posted was about moisture forming under the distributor cap. However after performing well for likely 10 years I need to replace the presto light distributor with the clip down cap and the igniter 2 ignition?   Ford 351 Windsor. My mechanic is struggling to find these parts. Seems to think they might not make them? Thinks they are discontinued? Supply chain disruption could also be the case? Anyway, curious if the experts here know if we can still get those parts? Or if not what ignition system should we put in? Thank you in advance.
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2022 at 11:41pm
You can buy a brand new old stock Prestolite marine distributor for about $100 on eBay.

You can also buy a D.U.I. marine electronic distributor from Performance Distributors for about $420.

The former is less expensive. The latter is a better value, in my opinion.

Good luck...
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2022 at 10:50am
Thank you! The electronic distributor sound like it’s worth the money. I always seem to get tiny amounts of condensation under the cap on the presto light version which causes misfires. Easy to fix but would like to avoid. 6-8 weeks for delivery so maybe a quick fix with eBay for this Summer but a better long term set up with the electronic net as soon as it arrives. Appreciate the help!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 7:28am
Dishman, if you feeling a little adventurous you could get one of the HEI distributors in the link below.

It's from AAA Marine for a reverse rotating 351W. Their prices seem to change every time you look at the website these days 

link to the 220 price

I'd call it a Chinese knockoff of something like the DUI distributor.

I've never used one, somebody here on CCF has and I might even remember who before I'm done typing. Wink

He put it in got the engine running and when asked for a quick short term review, well, that just never happened. 

Here's a link to his thread 

PS Don't forget new wires to fit the male terminals on the cap of the HEI distributor from either place if you were to go that route..

One other question, are you using a new rubber gasket between the housing and the distributor cap?

Maybe one more question, what parts can't you and your mechanic find for the distributor?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 8:48am
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

You can buy a brand new old stock Prestolite marine distributor for about $100 on eBay.

You can also buy a D.U.I. marine electronic distributor from Performance Distributors for about $420.

The former is less expensive. The latter is a better value, in my opinion.

Good luck...

For a Reverse Rotation engine it's about 489 dollars plus wires

Can't forget that RR engine he has Wink
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 10:53am
Thanks!   Not sure I am adventurous or looking for a knock off.   Or if my mechanic would be able to do that. I will ask him.

I used the gasket that came with the distributor cap. Been using some Sierra caps. Don’t think it was rubber and it would dry out crack etc over time.    I kept extra new caps around because eventually I would get sick of taking a paper towel to the inside of the cap every time a tiny a bit of condensation would form causing sputtering and misfires. Mechanic thinks it forms because of heat. I still ski hard behind this boat and am 6’3 235 so she is working. The 97 efi gr 40 works a lot better.
I am obviously not a mechanic but this electronic more expensive version sounds good to me if I can find the right one. When I checked they were out 6-8 weeks which is basically a Minnesota summer.
Is this reverse rotation thing universal to a Windsor? So my mechanic knows that ?   Or if I change to electronic does it become a reverse rotation?   
I put what is on there now about 10 years ago. I think I got advice from this board.   Igniter 2 flame thrower ignition? Clamp down distributor cap. This is what my mechanic says he can’t find and isn’t sure they are making them. Was going to call pertronix today to see if a tech person could tell me with certainty what I need that will get the job done    
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 12:26pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Dishman Dishman wrote:

I kept extra new caps around because eventually I would get sick of taking a paper towel to the inside of the cap every time a tiny a bit of condensation would form causing sputtering and misfires. Mechanic thinks it forms because of heat.    

Had an old truck that used to get that way, would spray the cap with CRC 5-56 and it would run fine.
Looks like you can't get 5-56 anymore but this seems to be the same probably a little more greenie accepted.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Get a new mechanic, they are pretty much available every where.
If you got 10 years out of the other one you got your moneys worth that's for sure.

A little cheaper

I wouldn't take gun-drivers advice on that Pertronix module he linked, it's for a Ford distributor not a Prestolite and it won't exactly quite fit Wink

You could get a 91581LS kit that would fit. The LS is for lobe sensing and you don't need or get the magnet ring that comes with your module kit that you have right now.

Or you can get the 91581 kit that has the magnet ring

Or if you're feeling a little cheaper, Pertronix sells a 1581LS kit and also a 1581 kit that have less sophisticated electronics than the 91581LS or the 1581LS.

One of the features on the higher priced ones is that they turn off automatically if they sense that the key is ON and the engine isn't running to keep from burning up the module.

In the same situation the cheaper ones will "turn off" when the module fries itself.

The lobe sensing kits are their latest that they're selling and work good with less parts to break.

As far as your reverse rotation question, look at your gt40 when it's running and see which way the pulleys rotate, then look at your 77 when it's running and see which way the pulleys rotate. The gt40 rotates in the normal direction like an automotive engine and the 77 engine in your boat rotates backwards.

Both engines are 351W engines just built differently with a few different parts to make the 77 rotate backwards.

The backwards rotating engine was because CC wanted to turn the prop to the right with a Borg Warner 1 to 1 transmission.

Your new boat still turns the prop to the right but you have a PCM 1.23 to 1 transmission that reverses the input shaft rotation so you use a normal rotation engine.

Confused yet? Wink

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 1:15pm
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 2:35pm
I am aware that I can find the caps. I replace those at least twice each summer with the condensation issue. There cheap and easier than monkeying around on the water between sets with paper towels. We do that a few times and then simply pop on a new top.   It’s the igniter 2 ignition he couldn’t find. Or in my unmechanical brain…the bottom part.
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 2:38pm
Not confused. Getting educated. So thank you. The gt 40 is such a dream. And I understand why they are legendary.
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 2:46pm
That link looks like what I need! Thank you!
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 2:51pm
Is there a better gasket to use than what comes with the caps? Last on I found at an automotive store the guys suggested using a NON adhesive silicone around it as they did that with old trucks they ran on river roads where water would often wash over the hood. I bought some but then realized I had more than a cap issue so never tried it yet.
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 4:38pm
This looks like what I need. So thank you for all the help!!! My mechanic says I need or wants me to get the magnetic wheel? Which the rotor goes inside of?   On summit looks like another customer questioned why that wasn’t included in the kit. Vague answer on the site. I tried calling summit but no help. Does my question make sense? I have the old one but he wants me to get a new one in case that is the issue.
Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 5:31pm
Now I get it. The part I have is 91581. Would I need any other parts to swap to a 91581LS? Thank you again for all your expertise!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 5:53pm
NO
 91581LS electronic distributor conversion kit uses the existing distributor lobe for the sensor trigger and does not require a magnetic sleeve or ring
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 9:29pm
Here are a couple of pictures, first one is a 1581LS kit, showing what you get, the plate a couple of ring terminals and a grommet for the clip down cap distributor and a grommet for the screw down cap distributor 

Second one shows it installed with the rotor off .It's in a distributor with a screw down cap but installation in yours would be the same)

The 91581LS would look the same except the black magic module is a red magic module. 

You can see there's no room for a magnetic sleeve with this setup

Since your rotor turns CCW, you use the hole marked CCW when mounting the plate Wink

There's only one mounting screw on this plate

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2022 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Dishman Dishman wrote:

Is there a better gasket to use than what comes with the caps? Last on I found at an automotive store the guys suggested using a NON adhesive silicone around it as they did that with old trucks they ran on river roads where water would often wash over the hood. I bought some but then realized I had more than a cap issue so never tried it yet.

Some of the caps like an original equipment one came with a rubber gasket that was about 1/16 inch thick with adhesive on one side.

If you have gaskets that are made of gasket material a thin coat of sealer on each side wouldn't hurt, but the gasket should still be about 1/16th inch thick.

If the rest of the distributor (shaft bushings, weights and springs) is in good shape you should be good to go Wink.

Dishman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2022 at 8:29am
Thank you all !   Gun driver and KENO the pictures should help a lot!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic