Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Low Pressure Fuel Pump - GT40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
StevoDevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevoDevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Low Pressure Fuel Pump - GT40
    Posted: July-13-2022 at 4:22pm
I started up a thread a few years back about a stalling issue I was having with my GT40 engine - basically it would run fine in the morning, and then after a lunch break it would start up and run for a minute or so and then stall and not start up again until it cooled down.  Thread is at https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34248&PN=2&title=long-running-stalling-then-no-start-issue-gt40

I'm at the point now that the next step is to replace the LP Fuel Pump.  I've located this sucker on my engine and found a replacement part at Napa (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/DFPFE0553) - can I use this part instead of purchasing it from a marine store?  Looks exactly like the part I need to replace from my boat (see pic below)

If this is the right part - can I just remove the attached lines and replace the part?  I'm sure there will be a bit of fuel in the line, but it won't just keep flowing out right?  I'll just have a catch pan below in case there is any leakage.  

Is there anything else I should consider while doing this?  :) 

Thanks!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 5:04pm
The Carter P4389 is the marine version if your worried. They can be found at reasonable prices, check your napa too. Are they different? Don't know can only go by what Carter says 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 5:59pm
As the NAPA one looks the same its spec aren't, they list it at 24 volt and only 5gph.
The Carter is listed @ 12v and 50gph

JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 7:41pm
Keep the wires from your old pump. You may need them for the new install. Make certain wire connectors are sized properly and secured well.

It is worthwhile to take the old pump apart to understand how it works and inspect the internal screen filter.
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
StevoDevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevoDevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 8:01pm
Great catch - thanks for seeing the differences!  I've ordered the Carter one!  

And is the installation as simple as just disconnecting and reconnecting?  It looks pretty straight forward!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 9:21pm
I haven’t done one in a long time but don’t remember anything difficult about the swap.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 10:55pm
Carter made the factory pump, as mentioned they make several differing versions of this pump so make sure the one you order matches your needs.  It is a very durable design normally.  The same pump is used on most motor. Homes, Ford Diesel Trucks, Dodge Diesel trucks.  Good design not hard to change.
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2022 at 8:55am
I’m in the same boat as gun driver LOL

Seems it was easier to remove the mounting bracket that holds the pump and then remove the 3 nuts that hold the pump to the bracket.  I think it was easier to attach the new pump to the bracket while the bracket was out and then mount the assembled pump and bracket.  Everything is pretty easy.
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2022 at 8:57am
https://youtu.be/f4CdEau8sJY  Good video by Discount Inboard Marine
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic