Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
76Nautiquing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76Nautiquing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Problem
    Posted: July-10-2022 at 5:55pm
I have 76 Nautique with 351 PCM Engine. The ignition switch is on and all gauges are functioning except the starter will not engage and crank the engine. I can crank the engine from the solenoid but not using the ignition switch.
I had the same problem a few years ago and replaced the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch and that seemed to resolve the issue. Help!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2022 at 9:34pm
Do you get about 12 volts at the "S" terminal on the solenoid when you take the key to Start?  You should.

If you don't get power there, I'd check that the neutral safety switch is letting power through from the key switch even though you replaced them both a few years ago.

If you do have 12 volts at the "S" terminal when the key is in Start, then you probably have a solenoid that needs replacing .

Did you jump across the 2 big terminals to make it crank or did you jump between the battery input terminal and the small "S" terminal?
CanvasVapor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanvasVapor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2022 at 12:52am
I thought I had a bad neutral safety switch, and after swapping a new one it seamed to help for about a week. It turns out I just needed to adjust my cable a bit at the transmission so the lever would hit the detent for the NSS at the right spot.

Will the engine start if you slightly move the throttle from vertical (just a little, nowhere near catching in gear)? I needed to pull my throttle just a bit toward reverse before it would catch just right and let the engine start.

Easy to adjust the cables if you need to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic