NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering cable ID and questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering cable ID and questions
    Posted: June-30-2022 at 12:22pm
Hey All. I have a 89 SN2001 I bought last autumn and have been slowly going through. The steering at slow speeds has always left a lot to be desired, and I’ve been going through old threads to see if anything jumps out. Yesterday I discovered that the clamp block is definitely out of adjustment (rudder turns visibly more to port than to starboard), and I have more turns of the wheel to port than to starboard as well. Clamp block also has significant slop in the ball joint, so I think it’s time to replace it. However, I’m wondering now if perhaps someone at some point installed a shorter throw cable, since it really doesn’t seem like the rudder turns that far in either direction. (Of note, friends 22’ wake boats turn significantly tighter at idle speeds than my 19’ ski boat) Is there a way to verify what cable is on the boat? I assume a part number should be stamped somewhere, any hints for where to look? The other thing I found odd was that the wheel only has ~2 3/4 turns from lock-to-lock (1 3/4 turns one direction, 1 turn in the other), which seems minimal but I don’t have a point of comparison; is total lock to lock wheel travel a function of cable throw, or helm design? Thanks for any advice!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2022 at 12:52pm
The "proprietary" cable has 10.5 inches of throw and the normal cable that the rest of the world uses has 8.5 inches.

The  part number is usually stamped into the outer casing of the cable near either end, if you find that you'll be able to see what you have.

Otherwise unhook the cable from the rudder and unscrew and pull it out of the clamp tube and turn the wheel lock to lock and measure the throw of the cable.

Slop in the clamp block ball joint makes for steering that has some wander when you're holding the wheel straight so replacement is a good thing Wink

Lock to lock turns is a function of the cable, the rotary  helm steering wheel will spin forever if the cable is removed, no stops of any kind.

brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2022 at 12:59pm
Awesome, thanks Keno. Will pull the floor back out tonight and look for the part number and make sure I don’t need to order the ($365) cable when I place my order for the clamp block.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2022 at 1:15pm
I'm gonna guess you be spending the big bucks if you want the right amount of throw for the rudder Wink

The clamp blocks are kinda pricey too.

And don't throw out the tube, that gets reused with the new cable.
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2022 at 1:24pm
Yeah, hundred bucks after tax and shipping just for the clamp block. Is what it is. Assuming I do need to replace the cable with the correct one…I’ve read a bit about replacing the rotary helm with the later type rack and pinion. Looks like cost is comparable between the two routes, assuming my rotary helm is in good shape otherwise it’s actually less to go with the rack and pinion helm and cable. So the question arises, would it be better to “upgrade” to the rack style steering if the cable needs to be replaced? If I have to replace the cable and then discover that some of that slop was in the helm and have to replace that too, then I’m really into the “big bucks”.
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2022 at 6:35pm
Just went out and measured…I get 8” of throw from lock to lock with the tiller and cable still hooked up. Is there any reason this test would need to be done with those disconnected? I couldn’t think of any, the tiller and rudder do not appear to interfere with anything and I think this confirms that I have the wrong cable, so need to pony up for the correct one if I want to improve my turning radius.

I took a closer look at the clamp block, and the play in the ball joint is perpendicular to the support tube, there’s very little play parallel to the tube, so that when I turn the wheel or manipulate the tiller by hand, there’s no apparent movement at the clamp block. I think this means that a new clamp block won’t solve the steering slop, and that it’s either in the cable or the helm. Maybe a good idea to replace the block anyways though while it’s apart.

So, I’m at least looking at a new cable. Easy enough, and maybe that would fix the slop in the wheel I am experiencing. But, is there anything to be gained by updating to the newer rack style helm while I’m replacing that expensive cable anyways?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2022 at 7:31pm
You should measure the length of the steering tube also to see what you have.

The original for the long throw cable is about 12.5 inches  and the one for the short throw cable is about 10.5 inches.

You need to use the long tube with the long throw cable or the end of the cable will fall out of the tube when the cable is fully extended and your steering will be stuck at that full throw position...........that's not a good thing Wink

I've never replaced a rotary system with a rack system, so I'm no help there.
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2022 at 8:38pm
Ah yeah, that wouldn’t be good. I see about 13” from the rubber grommet on the tiller end to the end of the nut on the cable, so that jives with your 12.5” measurement for the long throw tube. Someone must have just replaced with the cheaper 8” throw cable. It does look like it’s been replaced, it has the quick release adaptor with the cotter pin at the helm.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2022 at 7:25am
To me it looks like you have all the right parts except the cable, which is probably what you already figured out too. Wink

Unless your helm is in bad shape, your simplest solution is the hi dollar cable.

Usually the gear teeth in the helm hold up much better than the spiral wound core of the cable, you might see some damage to the cable core when you remove the old one. The helm can be taken apart to inspect the gear teeth and bushings

If you're thinking about a swap to rack and pinion, along with the helm and cable, you'd want the shorter tube too (or shorten the one you have now).and the shorter tiller arm that they started using to maintain the proper rudder travel  it's about 1 1/2 inches shorter and gives more rudder travel per inch of cable movement.

brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2022 at 9:59am
That about sums it up, thanks Keno. Was only considering the helm swap if it was an obvious upgrade, since it seemed to be similar in cost and I’d seen it mentioned here a few times, and would take the possibility of worn helm gears causing the slop in my current setup out of the equation (but that seems less likely). I didn’t realize Correct Craft changed the cable throw with those helms, good to know! I’d have been pissed to put everything together and realize I needed to also order and wait on the different tiller arm…
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2022 at 2:02pm
There’s a guy parting out an ‘87 probably has the cable block. 

Keno would probably know if it would work you you.🤔
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2022 at 4:29pm
He might say it would work, but it's older, coming out of a boat that's being parted out, and may be in worse shape than what he has now Wink
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2022 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

He might say it would work, but it's older, coming out of a boat that's being parted out, and may be in worse shape than what he has now Wink

Just because it has rotted stringers and hull is delaminated doesn’t mean it has a ton of hours on it.🤔
May have sat in the water uncared for, can’t hurt to send a PM to save maybe 75 bucks.😉
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2022 at 2:46am
Thanks for the tip gun-driver. I’ve actually got a new one on the way already along with the cable.
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2022 at 2:03am
Just to follow up on this, my new cable and clamp block arrived today from Nautique Parts. Sure enough, both ends of the new cable are about two inches longer than the old cable for the longer throw. After installing the new cable, I picked up almost a full turn of the wheel from lock to lock (about 3.5 turns lock to lock now). Also, I was trying to decide how much play was expected in the ball joint of the clamp block before I ordered the new one. Ordered anyways, figured I may as well replace it while I was in there. The new one had zero play, so glad I did.

Some tips for anyone installing a new steering cable. I’d thought I’d read some suggestions to tie a rope to the aft end of the old cable (through the hole where the tiller arm connects) and to pull the old cable up and out from the helm end under the bow. I spent probably an hour fighting with the cable trying to get it the last little bit through the hole under the bow where the wiring harness and control cables also come up, but it kept hanging up. Finally I decided to try the other way, tied and taped the rope to the helm end and pulled out from the rudder end. It came right out with almost no effort. Then used the rope to pull the new cable back through, again with very little effort. Much easier than trying to pull the end with the long rod through. Lesson learned.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2022 at 5:47am
Glad that all worked out for you.

As far as the cable pulling direction, like you figured out, you pull the rotary from the rear and put the new one in from the rear.

If you had a rack type cable, then you'd pull it from the front like you tried to do, because the rack is big and bulky
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2022 at 9:19am
Ah yeah that makes sense. Anyways, thanks for the tips on identifying what I had and solutions, KENO. Much appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic