Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ticking Noise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ticking Noise
    Posted: June-23-2022 at 7:15am
There is a ticking noise coming from the engine of  my 1997 Ski Nautique for the first 15 minutes after the launch at the beginning of the season. I want to say it comes from the top of the engine, but I am not sure.  I then goes away until the next year.  Should I be worried?

Jim
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2022 at 4:28pm

Sounds like you have a lifter problem. It’s a matter of locating and replacing it. Since you said it goes away after 15 minutes and then good all season, then its pumping back up and holding oil. If it is me I wouldn’t worry until the ticking continues then you’ll know has gone bad and you’ll going to have to replace it.  

winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2022 at 7:22am
Thank you.  If the lifter goes totally bad, will it create significant damage?
Jim
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2022 at 12:14pm

It could if you don’t do anything about it. You could bend the push rod, damage the value in the cylinder head and the list could go on. Not knowing the engine and hours on it, I would figure out which one it is and replace it this winter before it gets that bad. But that’s me.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2022 at 6:47am
It sounds to me like you have a problem on your hands.

The noise only happens for 15 minutes after winter layup, so I guess you're not fixing it over the winter since you won't find it till springtime then you have 15 minutes to find itWink.

Maybe at the end of the season you can let it sit for a month or so before winterizing and then start it and see if the noise is there.

Since you're not too sure where it's coming from, I'd look at other things that can tick like maybe the alternator or the raw water pump or the circulating pump.

Old bearings with dried up grease and some wear, that haven't moved in a while can tick for a while and then sound OK again.

Probably not an exhaust leak since it wouldn't disappear, you'd have it every time the engine cooled off and got restarted

It could be a tick from a sticky fuel injector(s) since I think you have a gt40 based on an old post or 2.

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2022 at 10:22am

Well if we want to really want to track ticking sound down then we need to know if it’s the upper part of the engine, right side or left side of the engine, under the valve covers, water pump, alternator etc. Locating the sound I would either use a  Mechanics Stethoscope or a big old flat head screwdriver to help locate of the sound.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic