NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coil options

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil options
    Posted: June-21-2022 at 8:02pm
Last year my boat stopped starting. In the attempt I let the magic smoke out of the starter, so that is already being replaced.

Tried to order a DUI, but they were delayed more than their site said so had to cancel. Now looking to just replace the coil and throw a jumper wire to the I terminal as well.

What is my best option for a coil? 99 air tique, 351w ford standard rotation.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2022 at 6:15am
I'm guessing you have the original Prestolite electronic module in the distributor.

If that's the case, any cheap 1.5 ohm coil will work just fine.

A BWD E70 coil or a cross reference to it works.

Or ask at the parts place for a coil for a 67 Ford Mustang with a 289,

Or you could spend a bunch more doe some super duper super high voltage coil that won't make it run any better.

Somebody might ask how you know the coil is the culprit and not the module itself Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2022 at 6:35am
Since you were looking for a DUI distributor, here's a link to a recent thread by CBR dude.

He bought a knockoff for 140 plus shipping from AAA Marine

link to thread

link to distributor at AAA marine

Make sure you read all the info especially the part that says the Sun Distributor Machine is NOT INCLUDED Wink

Just passing this along, I don't have any experience with this distributor
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2022 at 10:43am
KENO, as always you come through with a good response. I read the thread and it seems to be very similar symptoms. Going to order the one linked and some new wires.

Hopefully it gets there in time or i will be picking up a new coil or whatever else i need to to get this things going. Have 2 and a half weeks of vacation and want to spend a majority of that time on the boat.

The boat is currently at my dads in WI, so guess a timing light will be flying with me in a couple weeks.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2022 at 7:14am
How about when you get the distributor, you post some pictures of it showing the vent screen(s), one with the cap off showing the block off where the vacuum advance was removed and the gear.

I'd compare it to your old gear to make sure it's cast iron and not machined steel 

Iron on the left, steel on the right

brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2022 at 8:44pm
I didn't take enough photos, but 100% recommended the company above. They shipped it out quick and it was great quality. It took me a bit to get it retimed because I messed up two of plug wires and was fighting myself for a few hours.

Once I get on my computer I will post the couple photos I have
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2022 at 5:19am
Hey look at that.................an actual review of the AAA distributor and some pictures to follow Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic