NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Run IGN Breaker Tripping Intermittently

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Run IGN Breaker Tripping Intermittently
    Posted: June-12-2022 at 11:12pm
Recently I've had a VERY intermittent issue with the Run IGN breaker under the dash in the PME tripping on my 2001 SAN. It happened the first time while driving thru some heavy chop. I reset it and it didn't trip again the rest of the day. I briefly looked under the helm + in the engine compartment and couldn't find anything loose. Battery connections are new. The next 2 outings, the breaker was tripped when I went to start the boat at the ramp to start the day. It didn't trip the rest of the day. Seems like the issue is either a failing component, a loose wire/connection, or a bad breaker.

I'm thinking my next step should be to systematically tap/shake different components to try to isolate what component is potentially causing a short (keypad, PME, dash connections, etc.).

Anybody else had similar symptoms? Any other suggestions on where to look next?

Thanks in advance!!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 1:28pm
Have you opened up the PME to see if there's corrosion etc inside.

I'd probably buy a new breaker just because they're cheap (8 bucks or so at Nautiqueparts) and if you find nothing else in the Run circuit wiring, it's a  lot cheaper than a keypad if you start throwing parts at it
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 1:32pm
Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't opened up the PME yet, the flashing neon warning signs had me scared :). But I'm guessing a little silicone when I put it back together will seal it right back up. I'll open it up this evening and see what I find.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 1:52pm
You probably should be scared Wink

I haven't had one apart, but if they sell breakers for them, you should be able to replace them halfway easily you'd think

What do they always say    "proceed at your own risk" or something like that 

dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 6:17pm
Figured it out!! With KOEO, I started tapping all over the place. I found the sweet spot where I could get the breaker to trip....if I tapped on the left keypad (crap!). Fortunately, I decided to do some more testing and I unbolted the keypad. With the keypad separated from the dash, tapping it wasn't tripping the breaker anymore. Finally I figured out that the root cause was that retaining bracket for the fuel gauge (which is also the ground) had rotated and when it got jostled it would barely make contact with the IGN wire. It took a few seconds to adjust and retighten and I can no longer get the breaker to trip.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2022 at 8:13pm
Well for that, you get one big

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic