NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aligning Prop Shaft - Vdrive

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aligning Prop Shaft - Vdrive
    Posted: May-29-2022 at 2:48pm
Been a while since I've posted, but I lurk a lot! I've got a minor vibration at low speeds on my 2001 SAN so I checked my alignment and found I have a .005 gap at the bottom. The prop shaft is relatively centered in the shaft log. Seems like I need to lower the forward (i.e. bow) side of the engine to close the gap. I'm just not quite sure what to do with the v-drive mounts. Do I need to lower the v-drive AND lower the forward engine mount? What precautions do I need to take to keep the v-drive and motor aligned? Or is that a non-issue?

Btw I have the GT40 engine, velvet drive tranny, and Walters v-drive.

Thank you!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2022 at 6:12am
I think you have 6 mounts (2 on the engine, 2 on the transmission and 2 on the v drive)

You should have all of their adjustment points and pinch bolts loose so they can be pivoted/rotated  and adjusted up and down and sideways if necessary 

Being a Walter v drive, from your description, I'd probably start by raising the end of the engine with the belts and water pump to get the coupler faces parallel and then  have to move everything so they line up vertically.............but I could be all screwed up.

Aligning a Walter V drive isn't the same as aligning a V drive with a pass thru shaft like the later stuff uses.

What you think will be one seemingly quick easy adjustment usually just doesn't do it. Wink

Your engine, transmission and v drive are all bolted together so your question about keeping them aligned with each other is a non issue like you thought.

PS you probably have a PCM 40i 1 to 1 transmission in a 2001 SAN
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2022 at 7:32am
Thank you!!! Will report back on how it goes!

BTW just in case anyone else stumbles onto this thread in the future, 1 tip that helped me get the coupler bolts off was to DIY a thin wall 9/16 socket using an angle grinder. Then, I was able to use a milwaukee electric ratchet on the aft side bolt with a wrench holding the nut. Getting all 8 bolts off using 2 wrenches would have taken forever!
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2022 at 10:49am
Just to update this thread, I fought and fought the locknuts on the transmission + engine mounts, but they would just not budge. They were painted by the PO and who knows when they last were moved. Plus the access was terrible for the transmission mounts. I know I could have supported the engine, pulled the mounts, and gotten them moving in a vice, but I decided it just wasn't worth the effort. 

For one, I realized my gap was actually just .004 (I was measuring the bottom only when I found .005, but the top had a small gap too). The vibration was barely noticeable (by only me), and the prop can be turned with one hand. I wanted to get back on the water this weekend so I convinced myself to not kick the hornets nest. Hopefully I don't regret this down the line! Maybe I'll make this a winter project...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic