Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1991 Nautique Excel PCM 5.8L

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TimN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1991 Nautique Excel PCM 5.8L
    Posted: May-25-2022 at 10:54am
My 1991 PCM 5.8L is surging while under throttle at 3,000 RPM. Seems like it is not running at full efficiency then all of sudden it is fine then drop back down again.    I just had new plugs, wires, carb cleaned etc...

Any suggestions?

Tim
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2022 at 2:04pm
Do you have a distributor or the protec ignition system?

That might affect the suggestions Wink
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2022 at 4:04pm
If you have the ProTech system all of the spark plug wires will run to four coil packs at the rear of the engine. If it is not a ProTech engine then you’ll have a standard distributor. 
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TimN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2022 at 6:36pm
I have a distributor. Not a ProTec engine
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2022 at 7:46am
Since it has a distributor, I'd might be thinking about replacing the cap,rotor,(and points and condenser if it still has points) Or is there an electronic module in the distributor instead of points?

What brand of distributor is it? There should be a tag on the housing identifying it.

How's it run at speeds higher than 3000 rpm? Does it just keep getting worse or does it smooth out or does it just not go over 3000 rpm?

Do you have an inline fuel filter just before the fuel pump? 

Just some questions for you to answer to try to help you try to figure out if it's ignition or fuel related Wink
CanvasVapor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanvasVapor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2022 at 9:15am
Could a partially blocked fuel vent or check valve at the tank cause that?
TimN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2022 at 1:38pm
As a follow up the distributor cap and rotor needed to be replaced.  Problem solved. I appreciate the help from all.

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic