Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Swim platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Swim platform
    Posted: April-24-2022 at 7:55am
Last fall I purchased a 1986 2001 Ski Nautique. I decided to do some upgrades, first by refinishing the swim platform. So I took it off the boat. It came off quite easy, almost to easy. after inspecting i noticed that It was just screwed with 1/4in x 1 1/4in lag bolts into the fiberglass and there was nothing on the inside to support the bolts Is that normal? I am tempted to slide the gas tank out and bolt the deck back on with normal nut bolts and washers etc.  I am also concern that water was leaking in threw the lag bolts.. thoughts? 
Malones
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2022 at 10:16am
Replacing the lag bolts with through-bolts is not uncommon.  I recommend stainless steel hardware for the obvious reasons.  To seal the through-hull hardware, use a good marine sealant like 3M 4200 or 5200.  The 5200 is "permanent" and the 4200 would allow for easier removal in the future.  Loctite also has a marine fast cure adhesive.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2022 at 11:59am
thanks JQ! 
Malones
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2022 at 4:43pm

You must be talking about the swim platform brackets. Sounds like the wood on the inside of the transom is rotting out for the treads of the lag bolts. To restore the wood and rot you will need some type of Penetrating Epoxy for wood. Many bands are out there but you will need the one for marine use. TotalBoat has a one it worked fine for me. But there may better ones out there. If the wood is too gone then yes, you would have to replace the wood and reseal/fiberglass it back into the transom. 

malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2022 at 5:26pm
thanks pjsmoreno, yeah the tank is in the way for me to see anything rotten, but I plan on sliding the tank out. So you are saying there was wood on the inside of the fiberglass?  I just felt fiberglass with my hand? I have attached a pic from the outside where the platform was.. 

Malones
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2022 at 5:46pm
Malones.........if you click on the link below, you'll have some reading and a picture of where the wood is n your transom Wink

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2022 at 10:26pm
In the pre-1993 Correct Craft boats, the skeleton of the boat was wood that was encapsulated in fiberglass.  The wood, over time, can rot and lose its structural integrity.  Some older boats may require some serious surgery to remove and replace the rotted wooden structures.  Rotted wood often shows up in floor "soft spots" and bad stringers.  The stringers run parallel down the length of the boat and act as the boat's spine.  The engine mounts are bolted through the stringers.  Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for the pre-1993 Nautiques to need some TLC on the stringers and even transom.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2022 at 4:32pm

When I did my swim platform brackets, they were still able to bite onto the wood but if I really put the torque on them they would have spun. I started out by drying the holes out as much as possible with role up paper towel to using a hair dryer and fans over several days I believe. Then I put the epoxy into the holes to start filling some of the voids in the wood. Then put the lags in along with 3M 5200 to seal everything up.

malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2022 at 11:02am
Thanks for all the info on this, I pulled the gas tank and took some pics. I circled in red where the lag bolts were. I pushed silicon through from the out side so it showed up on the inside. so looks like previous lag bolts went all the way through.

I don't want to rip out all the fiberglass now. maybe after the season?  It feels sturdy. Question is, do I use lag bolts again but bigger ones or stainless steel through bolts? should I put a rubber washers on the inside to seal? Please see attached pics.. happy to take more if need be.. 

oh and there is just wires rolled up inside as well I circled these in yellow. Assume speakers were attached? I don't know...

Malones
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2022 at 11:07am
If it were my boat, I would use s/s through bolts and backing plates inside the transom to help spread the load.  Seal it up with 4200 or 5200.  Go ski.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2022 at 2:34pm

Wow! That is jack up! Somebody used longer lad bolts. Definity will need to replace those blocks on the inside. Should be straight forward in doing that. But like JQ suggested, that would be what I would do to get you through the summer.

malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2022 at 5:33pm
Great thanks all ! - through bolts and backing plates it is.... and will  Seal it up with 4200 or 5200! 

Last question..probably not my last... the vent pipe was NOT connected to the pipe that led to the blower near the engine so connecting that... but looks like there is another spot for a second vent pipe in the transom vent. where does that one lead to? does it need a blower as well?
Malones
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2022 at 11:48am

On my 89 I have one vent connected to the blower hose/line and the other just hanging low. it will pick up the air movement from the bow to the stern in the bilge area.

malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2022 at 2:29pm
thanks!
Malones
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2022 at 2:33pm
You will still have to use a lag bolt for the bottom of the outside brackets as they are below the floor.
  I wouldn't get crazy going bigger with them since you're going to thru-bolt the top two, fill the hole with 4200 and just snug up the lag let the adhesive/sealant do its thing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic