NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tying/splicing your own lines and handles

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tying/splicing your own lines and handles
    Posted: April-06-2022 at 9:28pm
I know I’ve seen some of you mention making your own lines before, but this is a topic that seems to be surprisingly difficult to find much info about. Anyways, I’m interesting in making some ski and wakeboard lines (and trying some handles for fun while I’m at it), mostly for fun and to be able to dial in line length a little more (like to be able to ride a short line behind our 89 SN2001 with no weight in the boat for wakeboarding), partly to be able to use different colors and partly (as a bonus) to save a bit on cost of lines and repairing/replacing when they wear out. Not trying to do anything fancy, not making competition slalom ropes or anything, just some basic low-stretch lines with poly-e/TAK. My question is, what kind of splices are those of you who have done this using? The Brummel splice seems like a good choice, but the very few videos on the subject I’ve seen, and almost all commercially-made poly lines I’ve seen seem to do something like a simple long-bury splice with a knot tied in the line at the base of the loop, seemingly to lock it in place. I’m not sure why this is, I think the knot would reduce the breaking strength of the line, and should be unnecessary with a proper splice, or am I missing something? Maybe the preference to knot is to help a slip knot loop stay on a pylon better before load is applied to tighten the line around the pylon?

Anyways, looking for suggestions and experiences. How are those of you who are tying your own lines doing this?

Side note: I found a VERY old thread on this topic, but without any description on the process, and I wasn’t sure of the etiquette of reviving very old posts. A lot of forums I’ve noticed seem to hate that practice…so posting a new topic.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2022 at 11:05pm
Many years ago I bought a 500’ spool of ski rope from Overtons and made all my ski ropes and dock ropes for several years.  I still have one made from that spool.   I did this because back then we were using the boat 3 times per week and many times would have a new driver and we wrecked a few ropes.   Call me simple but I just looked at my Tournament ropes and copied exactly what they did.   Used a splice tool to slip the rope end inside the new rope and then did the knot to hold the splice in place.   The manufactured rope did it this way so I did also.   We must have got better at rope use because my ropes today are all 20+ years old but also, back then the boat went out 3 times per week, now I am lucky if it is 10 times per summer.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2022 at 11:30pm
A simple google search - "How to splice a water ski rope" turned up several decent videos. Get yourself some rope, a fid (splice tool), and follow along.....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2022 at 12:37am
Yup, and they all knot the rope with a simple long bury splice...it's straightforward for sure, I guess I'm mostly just curious why not even the high end competition ropes use a knot-less splice.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2022 at 2:55am
I think the reason is simple, the ropes are pulled on which makes the splice tight and then loose when you enter a turn before pulling hard again, when loose the slip spice can slip right out, that could lead to some really uncomfortable falls on the water.
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2022 at 10:09am
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts MrMcD.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2022 at 10:26am
Google "McDonald brummel" if you want no knots.

No relation to MrMcD or the burger joint Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic