Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bilge drain plug

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bilge drain plug
    Posted: January-06-2022 at 8:28am
For some reason (that 'some reason' probably relating to dollars and cents saved by a PO), my boat's bilge drain plug is what I take to be a drain plug meant for a transom, not for a bilge. It looks like this Perko one:

It is mounted on the inside of the hull - there is no flange securing the drain against the outside of the hull. Before realising that this is not the right drain plug for a bilge, and because there was a slight leak around the plug, I re-bedded (and screwed) the drain to the hull some time ago with a 4200 equivalent. It has been solid and dry ever since, but it seems evidently less secure than a proper drain that has a flange on the outside of the hull. The thought of the water pressure against the drain eventually popping the current drain assembly out gives me shudders, so I want to upgrade to the right assembly.

The original Nautique drain seems to be a flange style. I see there are also thru-hull style drain assemblies available. Any pro's and con's to take note of between the two different styles? Any recommendations?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2022 at 12:12pm
No advice on the type of plug to buy but I would upgrade to the 5200 which is stronger than the 4200.   It is not like your drain plug will ever need to be removed in the future.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2022 at 2:40pm
If you decide to change to the original style, you should do the MrMcD modification to the drain port when you put the drain port in.

You can read about it in the link below.

I'd call it the McDrain Wink

The picture(s) disappeared but it's basically cutting a groove in the female threads down to the hull so you can drain the maximum amount of water out when the plug is removed

Maybe he can repost the picture

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic