NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

C&S Skin installation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C&S Skin installation
    Posted: November-29-2021 at 1:15pm
Has anyone done this on their own?  My plan was to do it myself, but I dont want to mess up the installation of $800 worth of skins (thats just the back seat back, and both observer seat pieces)  They talk about having to "steam" the skins prior to install.  Never heard of that before.  Looked at a Youtube video and obviously I dont have a steaming wand to steam them with. Plus, I've suddenly lost my confidence in my ability to get it tight-flat-smooth.  Any experience, thoughts, suggestions?  I may look into pricing from local upholstery guys, but not sure I know if any I can trust to do a good job.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 3:24pm
I do not have any pictures of the finished product Larry but I replaced the left side of my drivers seat this summer. To do that I had to remove the bottom seat and the back so I took alot of pictures of how it was originally done. I have no way to steam either but I left it sit in the sun to get the vinyl good and warm so that it stretches. IMHO your not going to be able to do that with the temps you now have. I also have the rear seat back to do as well but that looks very difficult. It looks all glued rather than stapled so I have held off since mine is in ok shape. Rear seat bottoms need to be done asap but the leaky trans took up my time. Having bought and installed skins on the Mustang and then tweeking them again when I went with a more oem look I felt comfortable doing it. If you just had to do the back bottoms I'd say go for it but in my view you would be starting your apprenticeship on the hardest parts.  CC used alot of staples as well one of these tools help remove them http://www.berrysstapleremover.com/  One of these helped too- 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 5:17pm
If you're thinking about doing it yourself, I think I'd call the C&S people and ask them about tossing them in the clothes dryer on fairly low heat and using a hair dryer during the installation when pulling things tight

You'd be amazed how soft vinyl gets with a little heat.

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 8:17pm
Think you have the number for the shop that did my 206 and Dr. Steve's 206\
If you need it I can send it again.
He just did my truck seat and a jump seat for Allen - both turned out well

A couple of pieces from the BFN are headed that way in late January after a trip south

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 11:12pm
Steam wand?!? Youve got a tea pot right? Nah just kidding- I’ve got a harbor freight/Walmart McCullough steamer - but the sell a little 50 dollar Model at Lowe’s usually. Low temperature dry heat probably does just as well but you can’t over do it with the steam. But it all adds up - good power stapler, steamer, time - energy.. if I had someone reasonable local I trusted I’ll let them do it. But you can do it -and if it’s not perfect you didn’t ruin them pull and re staple they ain’t so delicate
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2021 at 7:56am
I did my sunpad and the rear seat bottoms on my old sport with no steamer. I see where it could have been nice to have but it was doable without. Patience and two people was what it took for me. Pain in the tail, yes. But very happy with the result. Take lots of pics of the oem vinyl so you get the pleats and other small stuff right.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2021 at 9:30am
Few things I've picked up along the way since looking into it.  The observer seat base and seat back shouldnt be too hard as they are small and pretty square.  Back seat back intimidates me because of the concave curves, what pulls the vinyl back into the curves? (tho C&S website instructions   (Click on second half of link, not sure what happened to our link generator...ugh)

do reference an adhesive for that piece).  The notes that came with the skins expressly state do not use sun or heat gun. (don't understand the sun restriction, seem that would work, especially in NC, especially in the summer, but it is almost December)  The dryer idea kind of scares me, I see them coming out about half the size (OK, just kidding)  

I talked to C&S. They said a clothing steamer works just fine.  I have access to one of those, I will probably go that route, tho its hard to believe they generate much heat.  C&S also assured me lots of weekend warriors do this with good success.  Joe, the power stapler sounds like a great idea.  I watched a youtube how-to video and the guy had one and used it to put in about a billion staples, virtually no space at all between staples. bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang.... That would make life a lot easier.  I may check with my buddy (the submarine guy) I bet he has one, since he has pretty much everything.  Did I tell you guys he bought a storage unit building, 24 units.  He assured his wife he would rent most of it.  HA!  His shop now occupies 12 units, several more he just stores crap, I think he rents out about 2 or 4 units.  He has every industrial commercial equipment made, CNC, sheet size table saw, milling machines, drill presses, band saws, breaks, cutters, several welders, one car lift so far, adding another one or two.  shelves full of battery hand tools, isles of nuts and bolts that are more complete than HD or Lowes, and on and on and on. 

I am pretty committed to the small pieces in the next week or so.  The rear seat back, I am not in a great hurry as that spent all of about an hour in the boat last summer, plus I might farm that one out.  Problem with that plan is, C&S requires any complaints/problems/bad fits.... be reported within 15 days of receipt.

Well, marching ahead, any other insights welcome.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2021 at 10:20am
Ha. Takes them months to get skins to you and you are supposed to install in 15 days. I have a pneumatic stapler (~$35) on Amazon and a stapler for my battery tools. The pneumatic was a game changer. Stainless staples and you’re off to the races. Good luck.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2022 at 10:46am

Update:  So far so good.  Finally got around to this. Got my clothes steamer from my wife's consignment shop. Was going to borrow my friends pneumatic stapler, but it took different staples that I couldnt find so while looking for those, I  bought an electric stapler.  Wow, how much fun are those??!!  So the two front seat pieces went pretty smoothly.  I'm pretty satisfied with the result. I think the steamer made a big difference (especially in a chilly garage)  It softened the vinyl nicely and seemed to facilitate smoothing out waves, rolls and wrinkles.  With what I learned so far, I think I am going to take on the back seat back, which I had been shying away from.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2022 at 11:06am
Great job Larry. That back seat backrest has me wondering as well- looks to be glued rather than stapled due to the plastic backing?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2022 at 12:01pm
Gary, I'll let you know what I find out if/when I get into it.  Here's what C&S says about the back seat on their website guidance.

15. When installing a stern seat backrest skin and/or a bow backrest skin, spray contact adhesive, is very helpful. It is available at most home improvement and auto parts stores.

Spray the glue a few inches wide along all the edges of the back of the backrest and the corresponding area of the skin. Place the skin on each top corner. Once in place, pull the skin down around to the bottom corner and stick the skin to the backrest along the short edge from the top to the bottom then start in the center of the top and work out to each corner stretching and sticking the skin towards the corners. You will be able to un-stick the skin if necessary to make adjustments for a proper fit. Once the top and ends are stuck where you want then start at the center of the bottom and follow the same procedure as the top edge. When satisified with the fit, you can now staple in place and add the welt. There is only about 1/2 inch area that will accept your staples close to the edge of the fiberglass place and add the welt. There is only about 1/2 inch area that will accept your staples close to the edge of the fiberglass edge. DO NOT turn up the air on the stapler, it will only cut through the skin you are trying to install.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2022 at 1:02pm
Maybe just the picture angle but the back looks crooked and there are creases in the bottom edges.  You might want to get a pro involved.  I'm guessing those skins weren't cheap.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2022 at 6:39pm
Although I didnt particularly appreciate Sean's commentary, (kind of came across as one of those internet forum  keyboard warriors that likes to puff himself up by knocking others down) but I did have to agree that something didnt look quite right.  I was confident in my install, but something, when looked at at different angles, didnt look quite right.  I took a number of measurements during and after installation and my install was square.  After staring at it a couple more days, I took some more measurements and discovered the blue/black panels are not parallel to the seams of the skin.  I thought earlier it was the logo that was off, but it was ok, so I was still not sure)  So it ends up the skin was defective.  I contacted C&S and they are going to make it right.  (So, so much relying on the pros to get it right as Sean suggested vs us amateur DIYers)  Mistakes happen and they are gladly and quickly fixing it.  No complaints toward C&S.  I appreciated their quick response.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2022 at 7:05pm
Good to hear.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2022 at 10:37pm
glad to hear you are tackling this project. I have done the majority of my 1993 SN myself using skins from C&S and their directions.  I have yet to use a steamer, just laid the skins out in the sun for a few hours, and they stretched easily into place.  I am actually just finishing up the rear seat backrest this week, and then I a laying new floor carpeting, then she should be all done. 

Would love to hear any of your updates, or see some pics. 

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 7:32pm
Dan,  Thanks for asking.  Are the photos in your new thread the old or your new upholstery?  Have you done the pieces (side of observer seat, back seat back) that have the inside curves yet?  I found the rear seat back to be a real pain..  Very hard to suck the skin tight into the foam on the inside curves.  I have checked in several boats I have been in since doing mine.  Some are very tight against the foam, others have a gap between the foam and the skin.  Mine has a slight gap, but not bad.  It took a ton of stretching, steaming, yanking, tugging.... Finally got it to my satisfaction.  Another issue, (did you run across this if you have done your back seat)  The C&S instructions say you cant staple into the plastic seat back except for a half inch to inch around the edge.  I found even that strip does not take staples very well.  I had an electric stapler and about 1 out of every 5 staple attempts landed.  Bottom line, it ended up  OK, but I wouldnt want to do it again.  My last venture was just the observer seat and the back seat back.  Next will be motor box and helm seat.  In both cases, I think I will go to a shop (somewhat local to me where other CCF guys have gone and had great work done).  I have another upholstery issue I am dealing with, (pinking) but I think I will start a new thread.

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2022 at 11:02pm
The photos in my current thread are a mix of old and new both. I started the skins "up front" and then after I had those done, I ripped the carpet out, and laid new, and then I am doing the back seats now.  The rear seat is not all that bad really.  if you get your skins good and hot (in the sun) they are super stretchy and very pliable/moldable.  I just followed the C&S instructions, and used spray 77 on the corners, and lifted and stretch until I was happy with the fit on the curves of either side.  My skins are touching the foam in the curves. 

If you did your observer seat, and your rear seat you can tackle the dog house too.  The hardest part of the dog house is that you have to actually "stitch" the carpet corners as they are loose edges from the factory, so once you get the vinyl in place, you'll want to take a nice size upholstery needle and heavy thread and hand stitch the carpet corners.  I used UV bonded polyester thread and large curved upholstery needle. 

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2022 at 11:05pm
Oh and for stapling I have NEVER found an electric stapler I've liked..they all suck. I use a regular manual stapler with various 1/4" and 3/8" stainless steel staples and I had no issues driving stapled through the vinyl and into the strip of wood along the back.  My advice, go back to a manual stapler, they shoot much harder than any electric I've ever tried. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic