NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Delete trailer prop guard?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:41am
It’s not just you
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 12:39pm
I always thought the term for ball mount was Receiver?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 1:08pm
Well you thought wrong. What receives what ?

Ball mount = drawbar
Hitch = receiver
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Your welds look better than mine.   I am still working on that skill set.  I have a frame to modify, will give me lots of practice.

Where did you find the grazeable rollers?

Ultra Micro Steel Roller Wheels by Ultra-Fab
https://ultra-fab.com/product/ultra-micro-steel-roller-2w-x-2d-1-pk/

Can also be purchased at Amazon or ETrailer

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 10:47pm
I had the same problem, angle of driveway caused the prop guard to drag.  I ended up putting inflatable air bags under the leaf springs, 15" tires, and 6" drop hitch.  I air up the springs before I pull into or out of the garage, lower the pressure before hitting the road.   I was able to build some mounts for the springs that didn't require welding or drilling on the trailer.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by agetech agetech wrote:

I had the same problem, angle of driveway caused the prop guard to drag.  I ended up putting inflatable air bags under the leaf springs, 15" tires, and 6" drop hitch.  I air up the springs before I pull into or out of the garage, lower the pressure before hitting the road.   I was able to build some mounts for the springs that didn't require welding or drilling on the trailer.

Yikes that sounds like a huge pain!

I’m really hopeful the drop hitch will solve the problem - although it creates a new problem because with the truck on the down angle of the driveway, the hitch gets too low for the trailer kickstand to reach it without bottoming out. Frustrating.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:22pm
I feel for you.
I had an 8" drop hitch, but then the hitch drug with the weight of the boat.  
I also tried the 2x6 under the tires method which helped, but the I had lumber laying on the driveway.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:27pm
Airbags?  Someones been watching too many episodes of "Texas Metal"Smile. I put a set of bolt on wheels on my RV.  Easy and work great.  If they can support an RV a boat trailer is no problem.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2021 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

That’s not a hitch.

Hollywood being a ball buster Wink 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2021 at 8:35am
Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

I’m really hopeful the drop hitch will solve the problem - although it creates a new problem because with the truck on the down angle of the driveway, the hitch gets too low for the trailer kickstand to reach it without bottoming out. Frustrating.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words or something like that, how about a few thousand words worth of pictures?  Wink
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2021 at 10:48am
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Airbags?  Someones been watching too many episodes of "Texas Metal"Smile. I put a set of bolt on wheels on my RV.  Easy and work great.  If they can support an RV a boat trailer is no problem.

I don't think wheels on my prop guard will support the weight of the boat, the trailer tires would be completely off the ground.  The ability of the prop guard to carry that weight would be in question.  You don't know the angle of my driveway.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2021 at 11:19am
I guess it depends on what trailer you have.  My prop guard can handle the weight of the boat and trailer no problem.  I use it as a jack point all the time.  Mine is box steel.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2021 at 11:22am
I'm going to add wheels, love the way that install looks.  I end up dragging and lifting the entire boat/trailer occasionally, no damage to the guard.  Having said that, it's a pretty huge shear load without the wheels so I think adding them will make the prop guard much less likely to be damaged.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2021 at 12:25pm
Hollywood, you better call E Trailer.com and educate them.   They call it a Drop Hitch Receiver and damned if the picture does not look just like your  Ball Mount = Draw Bar

CORRECTION:  Hollywood is correct:  A simple google search does show Drop Hitch Receiver with a picture of the typical ball mount drop hitch like I stated but I am wrong.  If you actually search Ball Mount it shows the part and is worded "BALL MOUNT exactly as Hollywood pointed out initially.  

The search feature gets you there using any combination of descriptions, receiver, ball mount, Hitch but the proper term does appear to be Ball Mount, I will update my vocabulary thanks to Hollywood.Thumbs Up

They do offer drop hitch receivers but those actually allow mounting a ball mount down lower, I guess for those super high lifted trucks using heavier steel to lower the ball mount location.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 4:09pm
Y’all’s balls too high.period.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2022 at 12:39am
By way of update… problem was solved by welding on some brackets and then installing some heavy duty nylon casters I found on McMaster. Had a mobile welder fabricate and weld up the brackets. They’re a lot beefier than they need to be and likely overengineered but they do the trick. I was worried the steel rollers might scar up my concrete garage floor hence the Nylon. Poly would be even better but much more expensive.

Now when I roll out of the garage the casters carry the weight for a foot or two. It’s barely noticeable from the tow vehicle and doesn’t make a sound or leave a mark. Win!

Update thread
https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50631&PID=605407򓳟
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic