Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Plug Wires

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Plug Wires
    Posted: October-24-2021 at 11:50am
I am changing the plugs and wires on a 1991 ski nautique and the wires that they said we needed do not work.  They have two different ends and I have been told that these wires go on older model chevy engines but they do not work on this engine on this boat.  I have attached pictures of the wires to see if anyone knows what these are for, only one end looks like the ends on the old wires.  There may not be enough info here but dont know exactly what would be needed.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2021 at 3:19pm
This 91 must either have a later HEI type distributor or maybe it's got the original Pro Tec system.

If it's got a distributor you could get a set of GT40 spark plug wires like in the SkiDim  link below.

They'll fit the HEI type cap and the lengths are right

Or you could go to your local parts store and come up with some that may be not as good a fit as far as lengths.

You might have some hunting and pecking to do to get the right lengths though.

If it's the Pro Tec system, the wire lengths are different and I'm no help except to say do the hunt and peck or get one of the universal wire kits that have both the old style cap ends and the HEI cap ends that you have to install and you can cut the wires to the appropriate length when installing.

The universal wire kits aren't too hard to do, but a good crimping tool makes life easier.

Maybe somebody will come along and tell you what they used with a part number that worked well for them  Wink

flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2021 at 8:35pm
This picture is the same as the boat I am trying to change the wires on.  Is this the protec system?  In that thread it says to try changing the plugs and wires before converting to a new system.  Just trying to be able to identify certain things.  

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2021 at 10:10pm
Yes.  You have the ProTec system.  At the rear of the engine are 4 rectangular black "boxes" where the plug wires connect.  Those are the coil packs.  One coil for two cylinders.  The "hockey puck" looking thing just in front of the carburetor is the "trigger" for the ProTec system.  If you decide to remove the ProTec and retro-fit to a conventional distributor, the "trigger" is removed and the distributor is fitted into the space where the trigger was.

If the ProTec system works properly, it's a good system.  If the ProTec starts to fail, you don't have many options as parts are NLA (no longer available).  There are several helpful threads here in CCF that chronicle the Pro-Tec - to - distributor conversion process.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 9:17am
Thanks Jonny Quest, thats what I needed to know.  I have not determined that the ProTec system is failing, but I did read in several other threads that before you replace the system, try changing out the plugs and wires.  

This all started when this boat was bought and it was said to be "cold natured."  It would barely run for several minutes until it warmed up, and then one day it sounded like it backfired and blew the side of the muffler out.  I took the old muffler out and it basically crumbled as I worked the pieces out of the hoses connected to the manifolds.  I am almost certain that it needs the carb cleaned or rebuilt, but wanted to try the plugs and wires first and go from there.  We have put a new muffler in which was fairly easy but do no want to have it blow out again from a backfire, if thats what it was.  I was there when it happened and really did not hear a backfire but I was at the bed of the truck when it was on the trailer getting cranked.  When we lifted the motor hood water was running out of the side of the muffler and thats when I figured it had backfired into the muffler.  
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2021 at 12:57am
If the new plugs and wires and a carb rebuild don't work for you, I highly recommend the conversion to a DUI distributor. Recently converted my 1990 Nautique and it runs better than ever. Other members have had similar experiences.

With respect to the wires, I recommend using a set of 8mm or 8.5mm universal wires and leave them long. If the Pro-Tec works, you can cut them down and install new connectors and boots for about $10. If you convert to a DUI, you can cut them to size and do the same thing.

As Keno mentioned, a good set of crimpers is key. I like the IWISS Ratchet Spark Plug Wire Crimper for about $30 on Amazon (see below).

Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic