Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 40A transmission issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lancef51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancef51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 40A transmission issue
    Posted: October-16-2021 at 12:57am
I have a 2008 Ski Natique with a 5.7L engine and PCM 1:1.23 angle transmission.  The transmission has started slipping in forward.  I checked the main pressure port and found that the pressure is abnormally low in forward but quite normal in reverse.  The pressure is even lower in neutral.

In neutral the main pressure is 20PSI at 650RPM, 160 at 1500RPM, and 190 at 2500..  In reverse I get 178PSI at 650RPM, 201 @ 1500, and 225 at 2500.  In forward I get 53 at 650RPM  and 55 at 1500 (any higher and the clutch slips).

According to the transmission maintenance manual it's likely I have a control valve that reduces the main pressure in neutral and I'm wondering how that's supposed to work and whether there's something I can fix without tearing the transmission apart.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated including ideas on what else would cause reduced pressure in forward when the pressure in reverse is normal.

Apparently some parts like clutch disks are no longer available but given that this transmission only has 900 hours on it with nearly half of that at idle in neutral makes me think the disks are probably OK.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 1:21pm
Being an 08 you most likely have the control valve that reduces pressure in neutral.

It sound to me like you have leakage on the forward clutch side of things, like maybe the seal rings on the forward clutch pistonwhich would lead to low fwd pressure and slippage  just like you have.

I'd call Joe at FFI Marine and talk to him, he gives free advice, rebuilds them, has some hard to find parts and would offer to rebuild it for you too or sell you the parts Wink

Phone number is 330 273 8291
lancef51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancef51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 1:40pm
Thanks.  I tried calling FFI, but they just told me they don't work on the 40 series and referred me to a distributor that will sell me a new transmission for $3000.  I'll try again Monday and see if I can  get Joe on the phone.  Seems like the problem has to either be the valve or the forward piston seal.  I wish I knew how the valve is supposed to work WRT lowering pressure in neutral.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2021 at 5:38pm
Click on the link below, Joe was rebuilding them for 1200 bucks not long ago.

link

and in this link he talks about clutch plates being available thru him, I think he forgot to update the thread though

I'd call and talk directly to him about your issues

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic