NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DUI in reverse rotation engine??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DUI in reverse rotation engine??
    Posted: October-09-2021 at 12:14pm
Hey guys, 

so I've been reading lots of good things about the DUI electronic ignitions for our old 351's.   Now I have a standard distributor right now that works just fine, but have been interested in upgrading to a DUI at some point.  The issue is my 351 is the "PRP RR" engine with the 1:1 pcm drive.  So, do they even make a DUI for the reverse rotation engine?  Has anyone here done it yet?  Thoughts? 

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2021 at 3:35pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2021 at 5:11pm
Everybody who's put one in a pre 89 CC with a 1 to 1 transmission and a reverse rotation 351 has done what you're asking about.

And that's quite a few people Wink

The only difference is the gear on the distributor for the Reverse Rotation engine

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2021 at 7:24pm
SO I gotta ask, does the DUI upgrade really improve engine performance, boost HP and give better fuel efficiency?   

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2021 at 11:12pm
I don't know about fuel efficiency, but the DUI definitely boosts performance, bigly. Recently installed one in my 1990 SN and it runs better than it ever has. And that's no exaggeration. I've owned the boat since it came from the factory (32 yrs ago) and cannot say enough good things about it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2021 at 7:27am
If you have an old distributor in lousy condition (rusty weights, damaged or broken springs, worn bushings etc, replacing it with a brand new one whether it's a DUI or something else, usually leads you to say things like Buck and a bunch of others have said.

Here's a link to a magazine's dyno test results that is fairly interesting

Different people will probably draw different conclusions Wink

uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2021 at 5:44pm
Those test results were surprisingly comparable for all three distributors. But they don't reflect my personal experience.

The distributor replaced by my D.U.I. was a brand new (old stock) Prestolite that matched the one that came with the boat from the factory. It was OK, but the D.U.I. provides easier and more consistent starts, smoother acceleration without any hiccups or hesitation, and better overall performance.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2021 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

Those test results were surprisingly comparable for all three distributors. But they don't reflect my personal experience.

The distributor replaced by my D.U.I. was a brand new (old stock) Prestolite that matched the one that came with the boat from the factory. It was OK, but the D.U.I. provides easier and more consistent starts, smoother acceleration without any hiccups or hesitation, and better overall performance.

And in your case a better advance curve in the new DUI as compared to the original curve in the later versions of the Prestolite Wink

Like I said, different people different conclusions
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic