Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

time for new Manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Tomahawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomahawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2022 at 9:00pm
John Deere green on the top and Grabber green on the bottom. The John Deere green definitely wins in my book.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2022 at 6:55am
My book too  Wink

Curious eyes wonder what the stuff circled in yellow is in the picture below

Lower circle, either a fuel filter or electric fuel pump

Upper circle, the bronze colored thing and the tubing or wires hooked to it.

A couple of closer up pictures would be good if you're not sure 

swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2022 at 7:20am
The upper appears to be the suction tube for the oil pan. The lower is a fuel filter. My Omc has the drain tube thingy(which I don’t use).
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2022 at 7:41am
I'm hoping it's a fuel filter, but I could think of better places to mount it

I guess "I ain't never seen a thingy like that" , how about a picture of your thingy Wink
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2022 at 12:14pm
How will you not sing some Joe Diffie every time you open the motorbox.
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2022 at 4:00pm
Keno, can’t post any pics. Still don’t have the tool bar available. Got a request to Keith for some assistance. Perhaps I’ll just send it to your email.
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2022 at 4:50pm
Sure, you've probably seen the address in another post recently.

If not let me know
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2022 at 11:33am
What about a set of stainless Edelbrock's? You can usually source a good set on eBay. The Commander stainless are really nice also, but very rare.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2022 at 6:22am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

What about a set of stainless Edelbrock's? You can usually source a good set on eBay. The Commander stainless are really nice also, but very rare.

I think you're lost in the wrong thread here.

Tomahawk was looking for paint to match his Green PCM manifolds and Flyweed replaced his PCM's with PCM's like he wanted to do.
Tomahawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomahawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2022 at 7:21am
Swilliams is correct. Oil drain and Fuel filter. The wiring is also ballast resistor. I never took off the fried one so I have two there. It isn't pretty. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2022 at 7:56am
I think if you tried, you might be able to get that fuel filter a little closer to the hottest part of the exhaust manifold  Wink

When PCM started putting in a canister type fuel filter in later tears, it was mounted to the stringer, forward of the fuel pump and at least a little farther from the exhaust manifold

Some later years after that had the filter farther back under the center floorboard, but still it was farther away from the manifold than yours is.

How about a picture of the oil drain hose connection even if it's surroundings aren't pretty ?
Tomahawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomahawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2022 at 10:15pm
16 bolts. 
13 let loose without problem. 
2 snapped off at the head. One before I even turned it. Both were fatigued. 
One was missing and snapped off deep. That won't be fun. 
Pics of the other parts.
Oil drain.
Old and New Ballast resistor

Heads snapped off. Fatigue was not new.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2022 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Tomahawk Tomahawk wrote:

16 bolts. 
13 let loose without problem. 
2 snapped off at the head. One before I even turned it. Both were fatigued. 
One was missing and snapped off deep. That won't be fun. 
Heads snapped off. Fatigue was not new.

Assuming that you can get the 2 bolts out that have the broken off heads, I wouldn't be afraid to leave the one that' was missing and  "snapped off deep" alone and use 7 bolts instead of 8 on that side. It should seal with no problem.

You might make for more issues by trying to get it out and have a bigger project than you want.

I also wouldn't be afraid of getting rid of the old ballast resistor and cleaning up that wiring some.  Wink

It looks like you have a Delco internally regulated alternator and don't need some of those wires that used to go to your old voltage regulator.
Tomahawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomahawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2022 at 8:17am

Assuming that you can get the 2 bolts out that have the broken off heads, I wouldn't be afraid to leave the one that' was missing and  "snapped off deep" alone and use 7 bolts instead of 8 on that side. It should seal with no problem.
Even if it is the last (or first) bolt? 
You might make for more issues by trying to get it out and have a bigger project than you want.

I also wouldn't be afraid of getting rid of the old ballast resistor and cleaning up that wiring some.  Wink
Lazy not afraid
It looks like you have a Delco internally regulated alternator and don't need some of those wires that used to go to your old voltage regulator.
I was wondering where that circled wire used to be connected. So the answer is voltage regulator?

[/QUOTE]

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2022 at 8:44am
I don't know if just leaving it and only using 7 bolts is good advice. Will it work? probably, would it always worry me? YES.  My dad always told me, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  Even if broken off, try and get it out, or redrill and retap it. If you don't feel confident doing that, take it to someone local who has experience doing that. Since you have the manifold off already, doing 1 bolt hole will be a pretty insignificant charge. 

My two cents
Dan

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2022 at 12:15pm
Well, I figured somebody would have a comment like that, but here are some things to think about since it's broken in deep.

If you're gonna drill a hardened allen bolt, what kind of drill  bit material do you need?  

Should it maybe be a left hand twist bit that might turn the remains out while you're drilling it?

Am I real steady sitting/laying on the floor, drilling in that 3/8 hole so the bit goes in straight and doesn't snap off or damage the threads?

If I get the hole drilled, will I break off an EZ out in the hole?

Can I weld a nut to the remains instead of drilling? Not if it's broken in deep

If I was gonna do it "right" the head would be off the engine or a portable EDM machine might be handy.

You could look around at what some other 351w manifolds look like, say Indmar for example. They use 4 bolts per side and they don't leak.

Here's a picture or 2 of the Indmar manifolds

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2022 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Tomahawk Tomahawk wrote:

I was wondering where that circled wire used to be connected. So the answer is voltage regulator?

[/QUOTE]

It's a 3 wire connector that plugged into the voltage regulator harness.

You can find it in the wiring diagram below that's pretty accurate for your 76 as it was built. (it doesn't show the neutra lsafety switch)

Tomahawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomahawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2022 at 3:00pm
So the three broken bolts turned out to be no problem. The two that broke off at the head had almost a half inch exposed thread. I was able to get them out with my fingers. The bigger surprise was that the one that was "deeper" had 2 threads exposed and I was able to turn it out. No drilling required. I am a lucky guy.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2022 at 4:46pm
you are indeed lucky, and glad you got them out. NOW you can start fresh and use stainless.  :) 

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2022 at 6:48am
You should also go out and buy a lottery ticket, just one   Wink
Tomahawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomahawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2022 at 7:44am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You should also go out and buy a lottery ticket, just one   Wink

I think I need to let my luck recharge. I might have used it all up.

I am putting on fresh bolts and gaskets and hoses too. Thought I could reuse the hose but I ripped one up bad during disassembly.

Now on to painting. 

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2022 at 8:28am
Yeah skip the ticket, the best or maybe worst is yet to come 

Assuming you mean the exhaust hose, you'll have lots of fun wrestling around the 3 inch wire reinforced stuff and getting it installed on the copper tubes and the riser with a couple of sharp bends thrown in there.

You might find it easier to take out the center section of the floor, which on my 76 involved carpet lifting and then you could access the screws holding the center section to the secondary stringers  And you never know, that might lead to a carpet job

Later years got easier with an easily removeable center section and in your pictures I might see some evidence that yours is easily removeable

It gave more vertical room to move the copper tubes around to get the hose on.

In the meantime, you could go find a friendly black bear to wrestle so you'll be in shape for the hose job  Wink

If the green arrow in the below picture is pointing at a rubber/vinyl strip in the floor (one on each side running back to the end of the floor), then it's easy to remove without having to rip carpet up.

Tomahawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomahawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2022 at 11:09pm
Manifolds painted, Decals applied, Installed and tested. Took pictures. Phone fell into lake while checking the hole shot. Testing good. Lost phone bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic