NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fish Nautique- Messer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2022 at 10:13pm

Gonna get this cleaned up

Johnnie Messer
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2022 at 10:17pm
Inside of the prop after pulling it. 

Johnnie Messer
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2022 at 10:24pm
Bilge and engine bay after engine removal. Clearing the rot. 
The newer engine has 3.5" exhaust so I think I am going to source 3.5in exhaust tips.
I don't have mufflers for the 3.5in, but I think I want to go straight pipe anyway. I enjoy the loud pipes.

Johnnie Messer
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2022 at 10:24pm
Johnnie Messer
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2022 at 10:26pm
Thank you for the offer! Apparently tonight, picture posting works. I dunno?
Johnnie Messer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2022 at 6:04am
Originally posted by jmesser jmesser wrote:

Shined up a bit

It looks like it says 14X11 1 1/8 NI-BRAL cup and the stamping is on the end of the hub that should be closest to the strut when installed.

So the L is just the last letter of Nibral  

You can also see where the hub has been hammered on in a few spots.Wink
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2022 at 9:36am
Can we confirm that the prop was not on backwards, that it's a RH prop that for some strange reason was installed?  Like Ken said I don't think you could force a tapered prop on backwards far enough to thread on the nut, but unlike Ken I've never tried.  Of all the aspects of the project this is a small once since you just need to find the correct prop.

Looking good with the cleanup!  If it was me I'd go straight pipe too, only question on that would be if you plan to fish the boat, trolling a lot, if you think the noise would get to you.  Do you plan on ocean or lake use?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2022 at 9:39am
Originally posted by jmesser jmesser wrote:

Bilge and engine bay after engine removal. Clearing the rot. 
The newer engine has 3.5" exhaust so I think I am going to source 3.5in exhaust tips.
I don't have mufflers for the 3.5in, but I think I want to go straight pipe anyway. I enjoy the loud pipes.

Did I miss that you are putting a different engine in the boat?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2022 at 12:08pm
The thread in the link is about his newer engine

Johnnie's pictures in the linked thread seem to have disappeared Wink
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2022 at 12:32pm
Aha, thanks, missed that thread.
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2022 at 8:43pm
Yes sir, KENO was right (I can't ever recall him not being right...) It is the wrong prop. After he mentioned the inability to get the taper on, I, just coincidence, have the shaft and prop in my garage. I went and checked, and sure enough, the prop will not go on backwards. The tapered end will not go past the threads at all. ...I was sure it was on backwards, it made sense. I got so excited that I spent a few hours cleaning it and the rudder. I've got brasso and white vinegar everywhere.

And on the engine, yes sir, I got another one. I bought it just to play with in the garage. After I got it home, it turns out it is in amazing shape, and has GT40 heads. So I'm gonna put it in and keep the old engine and play with it. 

The old engine has some issues, but runs good. I did a compression check and the cylinders are mostly 120 with one lower at 112.  I personally think it was neglected forever. I have it on a crate and it fires right up. I'm going to pull the manifolds, risers, and all so I can inspect, clean, prep and paint...and look for another hull to play with.  

Johnnie Messer
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2022 at 2:52pm

jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2022 at 3:00pm

Here is a couple pics of my 87. Deck heights were lower in the earlier years. Some also had fuel tanks in the stern. Mine has a removable deck in the back of boat to access fuel tank. I think spicing transducer wires is frowned upon. 
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2022 at 9:37pm
That looks so nice!. I had planned on placing speakers like you have. Do yours sound good?
...well a funny thing happened to my console after I got back in country....
Johnnie Messer
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2022 at 10:26pm
Sounds good to me there but that’s only way I’ve had them. What’s your plan for the console?
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2023 at 10:21am
So as I near the final touches of putting all back together on this Fish Nautique...An knowing I rcvd this boat is less than complete condition...  I need to ask the experts, should this set up need an electric fuel pump?

Note it is a GT40 351, but had been configured back to a carb. It runs well with a fuel line into the gas can in the bilge.

please look... https://photos.app.goo.gl/QRRseKUQbbrNrT127
Johnnie Messer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2023 at 2:19pm
Based on this thread and also the one in the link below, it was determined that you had a Protec engine(predecessor to the gt40) that somebody had converted to a carburetor and distributor.

link

Just a guess here, but does it have a mechanical fuel pump on it now to suck the gas from your portable can.

If it does, that's all you need

If it has an electric pump right now, it could be converted to a mechanical pump
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2023 at 3:12pm
Keno,
  Yes sir, it is mechanical. I start her up often now that the engine is back in. She fires right up as is and stays running. I am waiting on some new brackets this week and then I will put the fuel tank back in. 

Thanks for the info. I was hoping I did not need one. ...Still a Youtube mechanic, ha!
Johnnie Messer
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2023 at 9:18am
Good thing that was an older HO GT engine. the newer ones had the fuel pump eccentric omitted from the cam gear.
Had a customer go through two fuel pumps on a carb converted newer GT engine..... pumps would not prime LOL. he kept telling me the pumps were bad?? I had to ask what engine he had. long story i explained the eccentric omit to him..wound up utilizing the electric pump and original mount bracket..
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 9:27pm
Johnnie Messer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic