Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Aussie Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 ski nautique
    Posted: September-20-2021 at 3:47am

Hey,
I have an 86 ski nautique with a Chevy v8. Recently when we were heading out for a ski I noticed that under low revs/low speed the boat seemed to slide in and out of “neutral “. This seemed to go away as I sped up. The next time we went out it seemed a little worse and made a sort of crunching noise as I sped up but ran perfectly at wakeboard speed. I have read through quite a few threads and found similar problems but nothing the same. Any suggestions?
cheers Andy.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 8:12am
The first thing to do is check the level before you do anything else and bring it up to the full mark or even a little above on the dipstick. And hope that solves your issue. ( I read your PN post and that was suggested)

Not knowing what the crunching noise sounds like, it could be your damper plate eating up the springs around the hub.

It's not real easy but you could pull the starter and use a flashlight to see if you can see metallic pieces at the bottom of the bellhousing.

Will it make this crunching noise on a hard reverse also or just in forward?

The forward clutch plates can slip on takeoff making more of a loud "groan" under the heavy load as you take off and then the boat can be normal acting when it's on plane lightly loaded like your wakeboarding example. It's not normal and could be worn plates or low fluid level or low pump pressure or a variety of other internal issues.

Whatever the problem is, if you keep using it, it'll eventually make itself obvious when the boat quits moving at all, but you'd rather not find it that way Wink

In either case you'll end up pulling the transmission and the first thing to check when it's off would be the damper plate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 3:45pm
Haha no that is definitely not the way I want to find out.

Unfortunately I had to take the boat out of the water to get it ready for the Swedish winter so I can’t just add fluid and check if that was the problem ( which would obviously be the easiest solution) and would like to get it fixed before I put it away for the winter.

I didn’t test hard reverse to see if it made the noise bit its definitely a light crunching noise and not the groan it makes under load.

It’s sounds almost like plastic cogwheels grinding together. Quite hard to describe bit crunching is almost too strong of a work for what’s happening.

There is also a light metallic rattling noise coming from that area when the boat is at idle. Which I read could be the springs. with my limited understanding of how the transmission works I can’t understand how the damper plate could cause the “neutral effect” but still work find at other speeds.

I guess it could be a combination of both the plate wearing and be low on fluid. Seems like a big coincidence though.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2021 at 8:03pm
Without putting it back in the water to get more info, it seems like you'd have to assume the transmission needs work because of the in and out of neutral issue and while you have it off, you should at least think about replacing the damper plate whether you think it's bad or not.

The damper plate won't let it quietly slip in and out of neutral.

Just because there's no oil in the bilge doesn't mean much. It's low and it went somewhere. One choice would be a leak into the water side of the transmission cooler

But..........one more launch with a transmission that has the right amount of oil in it, is gonna tell you a lot.

It could save you a lot of work........... or you could just say to yourself "the transmission is old and probably needs a rebuild and I might as well replace the damper plate too while I'm at it"

I'd think about it, since your PN post said it was low but still on the dipstick. It doesn't take much oil to still be on the dipstick and adding the right amount just might solve your problem.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2021 at 6:30am
You can just run it on the trailer, backed into water at the ramp, for a test.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2021 at 4:34pm
I’ll try filling it with oil and see if I can get it back in the water on the weekend. Any idea what oil I should use?

Also there is water coming into the bilge, quite a bit now. Is it likely that it’s coming in w do here the prop shaft goes through? I can’t see any damage anywhere and know I haven’t hit anything.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2021 at 5:28pm
If the oil in it is Red, it's transmission fluid and if you use Dexron/Mercon ATF you'll be fine. An older version was Dexron 3 and that's fine too.

I don't know how available that is in Sweden though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic