Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 Ford 302 won't start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skavinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skavinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 Ford 302 won't start
    Posted: September-16-2021 at 2:52pm
I purchased a 1983 Ski Tique last year, and had it running well last year and this summer.  All of a sudden, it will not start.  The engine turns over, but will not start. So far, I have put in a new battery, battery terminals, spark plugs and ignition coil.  Replaced the fuel pump last year.  It appears to be getting fuel, so I am guessing it is an electrical issue, but I have gone beyond my comfort level with trying to replace parts etc. Any advice for someone who is not well versed on engine mechanics would be greatly appreciated.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2021 at 5:02pm
Points or EI in the distributor?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2021 at 9:52pm
You gave little information to help us guess, Pete led you well asking if your distributor runs factory points or if it has an electronic pickup system.  

Before pulling anything apart for repair I would check for spark.  Take off one spark plug wire, plug in an extra spark plug and ground it to the engine.  Have someone turn the key over while you look for spark.  It should have a nice hot spark you see sparking as the engine spins.  The spark plug must be grounded or it can't spark.  You could wear a good leather glove and hold the plug to a ground for this test or use some type of grounding wire.  Know going it you could mess up and shock yourself doing this test but even getting shocked yourself tells you the system is sparking.  Step 1 complete.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic