Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 SN fouled thermostat housing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
john_sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 SN fouled thermostat housing
    Posted: September-11-2021 at 7:16pm
Hey all,

The engine on my 79 Ski Nautique has been running hot. It sits at ~180 when it should be 143*. I took off the thermostat housing to replace the thermostat and saw this:

Is this something I can clean, buy new gaskets for, and reinstall, or am I looking at a bigger problem?
Im worried that if that's what the inside of the thermostat housing looks like I can only imagine how it looks inside the engine and exhaust housing.

John

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 7:46pm
I would soak it in some muratic acid and scrub it out, then clean up the mating surface with a flat bastard file if needed. New stat and gaskets and give her a try.

The top housings are NLA unless you want to by a remaned one for ovr 200 bucks.😬
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 8:45pm
And don't leave in overnight either while in the acid- keep your eye on it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 9:21pm
^^^
Yes what he said, don't try to make it look new just soak it a little to clean it up.
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 9:26pm
Being that rusty and crusty I would look further if the t-stat doesn’t help.
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 9:36pm
+1 it's very possible the exhausts look the same or worse since they run at a higher temp. If the thermostat and housing refurbishment does not help the manifold and risers could use the same treatment.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john_sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 12:37am
Ok, great. I'll try cleaning with muriatic acid tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I'll report back. Thanks!

John
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 6:31am
Originally posted by john_sn john_sn wrote:

Hey all,

The engine on my 79 Ski Nautique has been running hot. It sits at ~180 when it should be 143*. I took off the thermostat housing to replace the thermostat and saw this:

Is this something I can clean, buy new gaskets for, and reinstall, or am I looking at a bigger problem?
Im worried that if that's what the inside of the thermostat housing looks like I can only imagine how it looks inside the engine and exhaust housing.

John

Those pictures pretty much explain why most marine engine rebuilders don't want your core shipped back to them.

The whole engine including the exhaust manifolds and risers probably has the same issue.

It can run for a long time with that corrosion though.

I think somebody had a fetish for multiple colors of RTV and liked to use lots of it too Wink

You might be cleaning out big corn flake looking pieces from the engine drains and exhaust manifold drains
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 8:35am
I use phosphoric acid (concrete prep or naval gel) Home Depot
Is muratic gentler or safer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

I’m surprised you can even buy that stuff in Ca.
To answer your question NO.
john_sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 4:47pm
I went at it with muritatic acid, a brush, steel wool, and a file for a couple of hours, and made a little progress but not much.
I went ahead and reinstalled it with a new thermostat, new gaskets, and some of my own RTV sealant.
Unfortunately I can't test the water temp today because I am also having carb issues. I'll get an answer here as soon as I can!

John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 7:06pm
That's all the cleaner as it needs to be, next thing I would do is order the correct gaskets. 
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 7:24pm
The housing looks great. It will work.Thumbs Up

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 8:40am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

I’m surprised you can even buy that stuff in Ca.
To answer your question NO.

That muratic work fair. Good to know when they stop selling phosphoric
Can not find good Ole MEK in California
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 9:17am
I have tried ‘evapo-rust’ (environmental )
Works good. Needs wiring brushing every couple hours, then sparkles
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 12:58pm
Soon you won't find bacon either.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 3:11pm
Gary just went political on us. But he’s right
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Soon you won't find bacon either.

Only in California! Cry

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2021 at 5:23pm
I am looking for another state actually
Tennessee, Texas, are in running
john_sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2021 at 4:20pm
Hey all, I'm back. Unfortunately I have more questions than answers now.

I got my carburetor working again and fired up the engine but its still sitting right around 180*F once warmed up, either at idle or under a load.

Things I've checked
  • Replaced Temp sending unit & gauge, so engine is reading and displaying correct temp
  • IR Thermometer to the side of the exhaust reads about 160*
  • Impeller recently replaced
  • Checked intake of transmission fluid cooler for blockage, found none
Since you all know a lot more about this from me, I took a short video of the engine operating, maybe you can spot something that's off.
https://youtu.be/HK9jU9XF7ek

Some things im unsure about:
  • A weak start like that is pretty typical. I can get a stronger start if I have the throttle open in neutral, but I shouldnt have to
  • Tachometer is new, but the needle is all over the place. It was working fine about 10 minutes before this video was taken
  • Hose from the tramsission fluid cooler to impeller housing is narrower than the raw water hose
  • Flow of water through the raw water strainer seems low, but I don't know what normal is
Other than these, thought, the boat runs well. It picks right up from idle and accelerates smoothly to WOT. Temp needle stays close to 180 even at WOT.

Thank you again for your help,

John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2021 at 5:00pm
I could be that your exhaust risers look like your thermostat housing and not allowing the proper amount of flow through the motor.

Can you run it on a traiter and see how the flow is out of the exhaust.
 If not another poster that had a hot temp problem took off the exhaust hose at the riser and ran with 5 gallon buckets under them to check flow.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2021 at 5:56pm
What's the temperature if you aim the IR gun right where the temperature sender screws into the intake manifold?  Is it 180 also or something different? .

You may think this is a silly question, but what do you have for supply voltage at the back of the temperature gauge?

If your dash voltage is lower than normal, your temperature reading will higher on the gauge

You can see this if you flip your blower on, drawing more current from the dash wiring and the temp gauge will go up some. Same if you turn the running lights on. Turn back off and the indicated temperature goes down again.

As far as your hose size difference, you have a Commander engine with PCM manifolds and cooling system.
The Commanders had 1 1/4 hose to the original pump. The pump you have now uses 1 inch hose. None of this will affect your temperature.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2021 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by john_sn john_sn wrote:

Since you all know a lot more about this from me, I took a short video of the engine operating, maybe you can spot something that's off.
https://youtu.be/HK9jU9XF7ek

Since you asked..............one thing that's "off" that has nothing to do with your cooling issue is that nice shiny Holley Street Warrior carburetor, that somebody put on because it's a lot cheaper than a marine carburetor.

There aren't any streets on the water though and it doesn't meet USCG requirements for external fuel leakage allowed for a marine carburetor, so on an unexpected bad day, you could have a fire or explosion on your hands.

Here's a street warrior in the link for comparison to yours in the video

Your throttle return spring isn't hooked up either Wink
john_sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2021 at 4:28pm
gun-driver,
I'll have to pull the boat out of the water to get a good look at the exhaust. I should be able to find time this weekend.

Keno,
When I aim the IR gun at the temp sender it reads 163. Turning on my blower and nav lights does bump up the needle a little bit, maybe 5-10 degrees.
The voltage supply at the back of the temp gauge reads 11V
I know that somebody who put the street warrior on my boat - its me. Well, its the same carb that the previous owner had on it. I took it apart to do a rebuild, and several of the fuel bowl screw holes got stripped, as well as the accelerator squirter screw holes. I had to just order another one. I didn't think much of it being a street carb, but you have me worried now.
And good catch on the throttle spring. Thank you for taking a look.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2021 at 8:11pm
I'm thinking that your IR gun shows some pretty normal temperatures and maybe you should trust that more than the gauge, especially if your voltage to the gauge is 11V. 

Is that 11 volts while the engine is running?

You could run the boat without the thermostat and get some readings that could be helpful. Especially down in some warm Mississippi water, having no thermostat isn't gonna turn it into an ice cube

Speaking of voltage, I also noticed what looks like a 1 wire Delco alternator on your engine. If you want to verify that it's a marine alternator look at the back and see if it has screens like in the picture below. There are also screens on the front but they're harder to see because the fan partially blocks your view. Not all marine alternators have screens but your Delco should.

It's a 3 wire Delco in the picture, but the screens are the same

Just trying to keep you safe  Wink  Hard to tell but I think you have the screens

As far as the carburetor, there aren't huge differences but the main things dealing with leakage are J tubes on the bowl vents on later marine Holleys after about 1977 and special throttle shafts.They don't totally prevent external leakage but function to minimize any leakage to meet a USCG spec.

Your rubber fuel line from the pump to the carburetor should be USCG approved stuff. You'll see lettering on the rubber stating that it's
USCG A1-15 or A1-10 rated for example. If it's not USCG approved, it burns through quicker in a fire situation.

And about your throttle spring, they don't call me Ole Beagle Eye for nuthin' Wink
john_sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 2:15pm
gun-driver,

I pulled the boat out of the water to get a look at the exhaust flow. Here's two videos. The first is at idle RPM, the second is just above idle at 1100 RPM.
Keno,
My alternator looks like yours, with screens but with one wire instead of 3 so I think im okay there. My fuel hosing however has no lettering. I'll order new USCG approved hosing. Thank you for looking out!

-John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 6:56pm
That water flow looks pretty good to me, even amount from both sides. 
Guess it’s time to take a look at the wiring. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic