Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need guidance on 1996 super sport trans issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81Sid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81Sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need guidance on 1996 super sport trans issue
    Posted: September-07-2021 at 10:42am
Good morning.  I am having an issue with my NEW to me 96 super sport.  When I throttle up, the boat goes fine until I get to about 3k rpm.  Then the rpm's keep climbing but the boat isn't keeping it momentum.  I pull off the throttle and the boat slows.  I throttle up again and it fine until again around 3 k rpm.  If I go slowly with the throttle i can get the bot up to around 25mph, but no more.
Things i have tried:
Filled the trans oil and checked it every use.  Trans oil is not burned or smells bad, still red when I check.  I needed to add a touch the last time i took the boat out.
Switched the prop back to the original 3 blade prop and problem persisted.
Not sure which direction to move to next.
The prop I removed (acme 1578 heavy load prop) had a very small ding but there is no vibration at all when we are under way, so I dont believe the drive shaft is out of alignment, but will have it professionally checked.
Does this sound like it is more transmission or v drive?
 Any guidance form you guys is invaluable!  Your advise has always been very helpful.
Thank you in advance!
'81 CC 20th Anniversary hull
Making it my own...
'96 Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2021 at 5:03pm
Sounds like the trans (not the V drive) is slipping. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2021 at 7:07pm
Did the prop have a key in it?   If the keyway is missing and the prop is not lapped to the prop shaft it will slip on the shaft.  Properly installed a prop is hard to remove from the shaft, you need a puller.  How did yours come off?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2021 at 6:10am
You have a Walter v drive in that boat. The only way it can slip is if the teeth are being ground off the gears, it has no clutches or clutch plates of any kind.

The transmission has clutch plates that can slip.

The slippage is most likely to occur when load is the heaviest and that's when taking off from a dead stop with a lot of throttle.

So......what happens if you do a full throttle takeoff?

Has it been this way since you bought the boat?

81Sid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81Sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 12:19pm
Morning.  Thanks for the replies!
1. Yes the prop had/has a key in it and i use a puller to get it off.  It was difficult to get off as well.
2. At full throttle it hesitates and the rpm's shoot up, so I am feeling the same thing then.  I first day I got the boat it did not do anything and I went full throttle a couple times.  The 2nd day is when I stated experiencing this.  
I think i got dupped a litte with this purchase.  The rest of the boat is in good shape, and I expected to have to fix some things on a 25 year old boat.  Live and learn.  I am still excited to have a super sport!  Just got to get it up up to speed!!!

Thanks again for your all of your insights!  I have decided to send the trans off to Joe at FFI for a rebuild!  I found his info on the  site in other posts!
Sid
Making it my own...
'96 Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 12:39pm
So when you give it full throttle from a stop, you must get some pretty much gawdawful extra slipping noises?
81Sid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81Sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 1:21pm
Not so much noises, just one and the extra rpm's that are alarming at first.
Making it my own...
'96 Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 2:06pm
Fix it and it will be your boat, I bought mine with no water test since it was December at the time, it only had 100 hours on it.  First water test found vibration, needed new Prop, Prop Shaft and strut alignment.  Boat was in great shape once fixed but buy a used item and it is always a crap shoot.  I think getting the tranny out of a V drive is quite the task but there is help on here to walk you through should you decide to fix it yourself.
81Sid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81Sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 2:33pm
Thanks for the positivity!  Definitely a crap shoot.  I'm a couple fixes away from it being mine to enjoy for a long time!  Love the hull of this boat. 
Have a great weekend!

Making it my own...
'96 Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by 81Sid 81Sid wrote:

Not so much noises, just one and the extra rpm's that are alarming at first.

That's the sound of the forward clutches slipping

Here's a link to a recent thread that might help you some with removal and reinstallation of the v drive and transmission

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2021 at 5:27pm
Dont know if your pulling it yourself but after you pull the upholstery out I laid HF moving blankets on the floor to keep oil off carpet and had several 2x6's across the opening so that i would keep off the fuel tank. Also gave me a place to set the vdrive on since there was no reason to remove it from the boat. Prop up the input side of the drive so that the oil doesnt leak out. Think about changing the dampner while all that is out too if you can get one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic