Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique Newb-looking at my first SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dspilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dspilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique Newb-looking at my first SN
    Posted: September-07-2021 at 5:28am

Hey gang, first time poster here….I’ve been researching boats for about a month now, and a friend has really turned me on to the older Nautiques. For the last couple of weeks I have been devouring any resource I could find that has info on these boats.

I’ve already come across one that I’m going to see this week. It’s a 1990 Ski Nautique with “about” 1500 hours according to the current owner. In the pictures that I’ve seen, it looks like the boat is in really good shape cosmetically. The trailer looks pretty good in the pictures too. 

I’ll be going to see it in its storage location (without the owner, but with his permission), and as long as I like what I see we (the owner and I) will take it out on the water Sunday. It’s currently stored covered on its trailer in a covered, open storage facility (think carport).

My plan is to do as much of the prepurchase inspection list that I have found on here as I can when I go see it the first time. I’ll try  to do the tap test on the stringers too if I can. 

I’m assuming that it’s pretty obvious how to check the oil, but what about the  transmission fluid? Is there an obvious dipstick when the engine cover is open (just to have a look at the fluids and see what kind of shape they’re in)?

My big question, and reason for the post is what would you value a 1990 Ski Nautique at that appears to be in pretty good shape (it’s only an hour from my house too, which definitely adds to the attraction for me to this boat). 

Anything I’m missing?

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2021 at 7:58am
1990 still has wood stringers that you will need to evaluate.  google correctcraftfan check stringers and there should be a thread with a good video.  

Might be good to read some of the FAQ threads in the Boat Maintenance section.  Lots of good stuff in there

I hope the boat looks to be in great shape.  
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
dspilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dspilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2021 at 11:00am
Haha…yeah I’ve read so much on this forum that my head is spinning. My post was mainly just looking for some affirmation from this awesome group of folks and trying to gauge everyone’s thoughts on what a fair price is. Other than walking the floor and checking for soft spots, and tapping on the stringers wherever I can, are there any other ideas for checking the integrity of the wood bits on the boat (besides the motor mount and other bolts referred to in the checklist)? 
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2021 at 11:01am
Normally, If its in good shape, tho the hours are getting right up there, maybe $9-$10,000-ish. However, covid drove up prices so people might be asking as much as 12, maybe even 13.  I dont think I'd go that high.  I would look to stay closer to 10, maybe 11 covid premium.  As said above, going two years newer will get you composite stringers.  Probably worth continuing the hunt for those.  There is a dipstick on the transmission.  You want to see nice clear red fluid.
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2021 at 11:17am

I’m from a different generation for I was born in the 60’s and grew up on a lake. So, when I first brought my 89, I been around the block a few times on what to look for. The first thing I would ask is what owner he is for that will tell you a little history of how much the boat has been passed around over the years. Then start looking at the how many hours, the condition of the interior, how clean the engine is, how dirty the bilge is. These are things that tells you a lot of the care of the boat. Did he maintain a history log on the maintenance of the boat? All of these areas tell tell signs of should I continue or walk away. Then it goes to soft spots on the flooring. Mainly by the ski pylon/seating areas. Any panel you can pop off, I would to get them off to have a better understanding of how much care this boat has have.  Again, do I want this boat or walk away. I looked at 3-4 boats and walk away from them. It took me right at 6 months before I bought mine but I was looking for the almost impossible cleaned, no work needed boat. 

JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2021 at 4:27pm
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic