Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 Ski Nautique - Won't go above 1300 RPM

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Khelms000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khelms000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 Ski Nautique - Won't go above 1300 RPM
    Posted: August-03-2021 at 8:30pm
Hi everyone!  I recently found this forum while doing some searches about a problem I am having.  I read a bunch of posts where others have experience problems with the electronic control limiting the engine RPM.  It seemed that there are a number of things that could cause it.  I recently was given a 1995 Ski Nautique Sport by a friend who hadn't used it in about two years.  I hired a mechanic that cleaned the injectors, fuel rail, replaced the raw water filter housing, replaced the high pressure fuel pump, and put a 143 degree thermostat in it.  

I took the boat out twice after he said it was good to use.  Both times I was able to get on plane, but it wouldn't go over 2500 RPM.  Both times it only went that fast for 5 or 10 minutes before it started to sound rough and about to stall.  If I idled in gear it was fine, but wouldn't run over 1300 RPM.  The 3rd I tried it, I could only idle and it would not go over about 1300 RPM unless it was in neutral.  In neutral I can rev it up to 4000 RPM and it runs strong and sounds good.

I did read about the SLOW function if the switches for the water temperature or oil pressure signal a problem to the ECA.  I'm guessing that is what was happening the two times it got on plane, but didn't go over 2500 RPM.  What could cause the engine to be limited to about 1300 RPM in gear and under load when it will runs great in neutral?  The engine is the PCM GT40.  The boat is a 1995, but I saw a 94 on the plate that has the model number.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kevin

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 9:17pm
The easiest way to test this is to disconnect the 2 switches- they both have a tan/black wires going to them,I'll snap a picture in a bit. FYI fuel injected engines use a 160 thermostat as well. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Khelms000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khelms000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 9:31pm
Thanks for the reply.  I have been wondering if the 143 degree thermostat could be causing the problem.  

Kevin
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 9:40pm
I’m curious as to the high pressure fuel pump replacement as the ‘95 model pumps are like unicorns.
Khelms000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khelms000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 9:45pm
I think the mechanic said he found one that would work.  I don't think it was specific to this 95.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 9:49pm
Oil pressure switch- the smaller of the two

Water temp switch is in the water pump-

I would start by disconnecting the oil one first followed by the water if the oil one didn't help. 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 9:51pm
A picture of the pump he used would help.Thermostat would not cause your issues.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Khelms000 Khelms000 wrote:

I think the mechanic said he found one that would work.  I don't think it was specific to this 95.

Yes they are specific to the non fuel cell GT-40s.
 You can get around it with a different pump but you need to eliminate the cross over braided line to the return line. If that is still in place I would question if the pump was actually changed.
Khelms000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khelms000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 9:59pm
Thanks Gary.  The pictures are very helpful for me.

Khelms000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khelms000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by Khelms000 Khelms000 wrote:

Yes they are specific to the non fuel cell GT-40s.
 You can get around it with a different pump but you need to eliminate the cross over braided line to the return line. If that is still in place I would question if the pump was actually changed.

I'm not sure I know where the fuel pump is or what to look for.  I'll check it out when I am at the boat next time.

Thanks,
Kevin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 9:30am
The high pressure pump sit just above the low pressure pump. In this picture you can see the bottom of it behind the rubber exhaust tube. It’s the one with the one with the stainless braided line coming off the bottom of it.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 6:09pm
Here is another fuel pump picture-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Khelms000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khelms000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2021 at 7:22pm
Thanks Gun-Driver and Gary!  You guys are awesome.  Very helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic