NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1992 Correct Craft Fuel Sender

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1992 Correct Craft Fuel Sender
    Posted: July-29-2021 at 10:36am
Hi all,

First question, if my fuel gauge doesn't seem to be correct, is it more likely that it is the gauge or the sender? 

I'm already getting a new gauge since they're only $30, but I can't figure out which sender is the right one for the 92 SNOB. Anybody have experience getting a replacement one for this?

Or should I just get the gauge first and see if that helps?

Thanks in advance.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 12:06pm
I just changed out my sender, my gauge didn't read correctly for 10 years and at my own snail's pace I finally got around to fixing it.  I think one of the inboard vendors could direct you to the right one.  In my case, I had the gear driven one and while I don't know why it didn't work correctly, the replacement was a full tank depth stalk with float that is working great with my same gauge.

Pull the sender out, and operate it by hand and see what your gauge reads.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 12:14pm
I prefer the “reed” type fuel sending units as I feel they are more accurate.  The proper size is 1” shorter than the depth of the tank.  Example:  measure the fuel tank depth from the mounting point of the sending unit to the bottom of the tank.  If the measurement is 11” then you need a 10” sending unit.  If it is too short, then you will have fuel in the bottom of the tank when the gauge reads empty.  I accidentally did this on my 1994 when I replaced the sending unit.  My sending unit was 1 3/4” short, so I had 6 gallons remaining when the gauge read empty. 
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I prefer the “reed” type fuel sending units as I feel they are more accurate.  The proper size is 1” shorter than the depth of the tank.  Example:  measure the fuel tank depth from the mounting point of the sending unit to the bottom of the tank.  If the measurement is 11” then you need a 10” sending unit.  If it is too short, then you will have fuel in the bottom of the tank when the gauge reads empty.  I accidentally did this on my 1994 when I replaced the sending unit.  My sending unit was 1 3/4” short, so I had 6 gallons remaining when the gauge read empty. 

Just do what he said! Thumbs Up

My hinge/gear mechanism appeared to work correctly out of the tank, but installed it didn't read correctly.  Maybe the float was bad, I don't know.  But the straight type like makes so much more sense, simpler.  I did have to move my tank to get it in, that's the only hassle.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2021 at 1:32pm
Okay thanks guys for the info, unfortunately my boat is at mechanic and didn't have a chance to measure fuel tank before sending her away. Maybe someone here knows length of tank / fuel sender they used? If not I'll do it myself when I get the boat and update you guys here for future people.
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 7:51am
Anyone got parts numbers or names for these reed type fuel gauge sending units? My 1997 SN has again decided to not tell me how much fuel I really have... We ran out at about 1/4 tank yesterday...
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 8:12am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Amazon.com: Moeller Marine Electrical Reed Switch Fuel Sending Unit, Complete with Gasket and Screws : Automotive  

Just select the length

Perfect, thank you....

I pulled the dash pod and tried to measure the ohms on the fuel gauge system...  Sometimes I would get the readings I expected and other times nothing... I got 30-ish with the tank empty and then sometimes 0. I did the test several times... I think that's telling me the wiring or the sending unit is flaky...

However, I put in 5 gallons, the fuel gauge which was sitting at empty (as opposed to 1/4 when we ran out yesterday) moves right up to 1/8+.... hmmm..... I was hoping for conclusive evidence, but I think all I got was it's probably not the gauge...
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 1:02pm
If the tank is empty the sending unit should be reading 240-ish ohms and if the tank was full the sending unit should be reading 30- ish ohms.

As level goes down, the resistance goes up.

Either your reading of the meter, your meter or your sending unit seems to be out of whack Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2021 at 1:24pm
If you're gonna get a new sending unit for your 98 SN, I'd call Nautiqueparts and verify that the unit in the link will work as a replacement for yours.

They started with the magnetic sensors in 2000 and since your boat and a 01-02 are the same hull, they probably have the same tank and the sender in the link is for that tank.

I'd say, trust but verify or maybe don't trust any of what I wrote, but call them to verify fit Wink They should know.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic