NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut Washer question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by BigBM BigBM wrote:

Thank you! I'm thinking I'll probably just go with the Nautique cable. They mentioned putting in an adapter for the current cable when they installed it a while ago, which should have tipped me off but I didn't know as much then. I'm assuming that I can just remove that from the steering head and plug/thread the Nautique cable in without it?

No you'll still need the adapter, the helm was changed a long time ago to a different style connection- all the newer cables are of that connection. The adapter lets the new cable connect to the old style helm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You'll see a picture of the long and short tubes in the link below on page 24.

Short one is 10.5 inches and long one is 13 inches (see page 23 of the same link)

Hacksaw or angle grinder works fine.

link

Water could have found it's way there through the leaking rudder port which has a wood reinforcement that maybe is delaminating some.

Thank you for the pics/link! Thumbs Up 

I'll take a look at the rudder port next time I'm at the lake. I did see some drips from the port itself - assuming packing needs to be changed so I'll tackle that at some point but haven't inspected much else around it - didn't see anything visually obvious, but will inspect more.

That spot that is chipped in the bilge (see pic) just oozes water from it (when in the water) and is just 4-5 inches to the starboard side - about inline with the middle of the shaft log. I suppose it could leak underneath all of the wood reinforcement from the rudder port and then find it's way out there.

BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thank you! I'm thinking I'll probably just go with the Nautique cable. They mentioned putting in an adapter for the current cable when they installed it a while ago, which should have tipped me off but I didn't know as much then. I'm assuming that I can just remove that from the steering head and plug/thread the Nautique cable in without it?

No you'll still need the adapter, the helm was changed a long time ago to a different style connection- all the newer cables are of that connection. The adapter lets the new cable connect to the old style helm

Ah, okay. Good to know. Thank you! I'll hold on to the adapter. So, hopefully just a cable swap, an expensive one LOL 
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 6:46pm

That spot that is chipped in the bilge (see pic) just oozes water from it (when in the water) and is just 4-5 inches to the starboard side - about inline with the middle of the shaft log. I suppose it could leak underneath all of the wood reinforcement from the rudder port and then find it's way out there.

I don't feel you will find any wood at the log. Logs  are typically placed inside the hull and then glassed over to bond them to the hull. I suspect there's some disbonding of the glass over the top of the log and that's where the water is seeping in/out. Chip some of the decorative gel off the bilge at the leak to get a better idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 8:26pm
The only place wood was mentioned was the rudder port not the shaft log.

The rudder port isn't terribly far from the dripping spot and the water could be migrating from there under the gel coat.

But if the port is sealed good now, it's probably not too likely. I'd probably agree with Pete about the shaft log Wink
BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I don't feel you will find any wood at the log. Logs  are typically placed inside the hull and then glassed over to bond them to the hull. I suspect there's some disbonding of the glass over the top of the log and that's where the water is seeping in/out. Chip some of the decorative gel off the bilge at the leak to get a better idea.

Thanks, Pete! Will chip away a bit at the leak and see what I can find out.
BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2021 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

The only place wood was mentioned was the rudder port not the shaft log.

The rudder port isn't terribly far from the dripping spot and the water could be migrating from there under the gel coat.

But if the port is sealed good now, it's probably not too likely. I'd probably agree with Pete about the shaft log Wink

Thank you! I will try and investigate further here too (at/around the rudder port). I'm sure the sealant around the hull/rudder port is the same old stuff I removed from my strut, although I don't remember seeing any obvious water coming in there except for the slowly leaking rudder packing. I still have a tube of 4200 and assume that it wouldn't hurt to pull the whole rudder port out, repack and clean it up and re-bed it with 4200 and reinstall.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2021 at 4:09pm
If it looks like the sealant on your strut, it wouldn't hurt to do the rudder port now while you're working on things Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic