Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Boat Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Davidmnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidmnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Boat Insurance
    Posted: July-26-2021 at 6:37pm
Just picked up a 1973 Mustang. What do you for insurance?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 6:51pm
Tacked on to my home owners policy. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 8:12pm
Unless you have Allstate who won't let you add to your existing policy or start a new one if the boat is over 20 years old.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 6:41am
I have Geico [Boat US] for all 5 of my boats. When I called them to insure the 67 they told me they don't insure anything older than 40 years. The 67 is with Progressive.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 9:05am
Ski Safe. 

State Farm though that the V8 351 in my 1980 Ski Nautique would be too fast and have too much power. I tried to explain it was a 46 MPH boat, but they were sure it would do 100 MPH. My other items are on State Farm. 

Some on here use Haggerty. 

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 11:42am
Haggerty. Agreed value. reasonably priced.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2021 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I have Geico [Boat US] for all 5 of my boats. When I called them to insure the 67 they told me they don't insure anything older than 40 years. The 67 is with Progressive.

Ski Nats 67 with progressive
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2021 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Ski Safe. 

State Farm though that the V8 351 in my 1980 Ski Nautique would be too fast and have too much power. I tried to explain it was a 46 MPH boat, but they were sure it would do 100 MPH. My other items are on State Farm. 

Some on here use Haggerty. 

Did you explain to them the only way to get it to go 100mph is to drop it out of an airplane?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2021 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Donald,
All my boats are with State Farm and two are V8's. Are you sure State Farm is concerned abould the "big" engine? Could they be concerned about something else? Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Davidmnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidmnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2021 at 8:32am
I called my State Farm agent, and was able to insure it with stated value at a pretty reasonable rate. Hopefully nothing happens in underwriting. 
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2021 at 9:15am

I have had my old 1980 up to 80 MPH before, but it was on the interstate and on the trailer. Embarrassed

My State Farm Agent wanted to argue about it and I just took my money elsewhere. Too much effort to move my home and four other vehicles from them. 

No sure if it is true, but I have been told companies like Ski Safe will better understand the type of damage that can be done from hitting an underwater object.  For example, the transmission could become damaged and other companies will just want to replace the prop and not the strut, and drive shaft and trans repair. 

On the flip side Ski Safe is likely owned by one of the large insurance companies anyway so it might not make a difference at the end of the day. 

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic