Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help me understand

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sacramentoboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sacramentoboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me understand
    Posted: July-17-2021 at 12:50pm
Drove 2001 SAN with GT40 daily during 4 day houseboat trip, no issues.  25min drive back to marina to pull boat out, was waiting for trailer driver so I started and stopped engine a few times while I bobbed around the marina.  I tried to restart my boat one final time and just got a clicking noise from under the dash.  No engine turnover, just a click under dash.  Brought my boat home and tried a very quick fake a lake start and engine now turns over.  Any ideas what may have happened or how to trouble shoot this if it happens again? 
Thanks!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 1:30pm
Start by having your battery load tested and check your cables and connections for corrosion.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 3:17pm
Kirk,
Are you using one of these to clean the battery posts and cable terminals?

Also, the battery should be a starting type and not a deep cycle. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 3:25pm
Classic symptoms of battery and cable connectivity issues.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
sacramentoboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sacramentoboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 3:32pm
Excellent info, will look at all of this.  I haven't used the terminal cleaning tools in the pic, but will now!
Thank you
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 6:14pm
I'd probably be wondering what the clicking noise under the dash was.

A 2001 has a keypad setup for starting the boat, so if you clean whatever connections you're gonna clean and it happens again, I'd be wondering if my keypad/PME box is starting to have issues.

You should hope it's just connections Wink

You can do a search here or on Planet Nautique for issues with them 
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2021 at 8:15pm
Good catch Keno, I didn't catch the under the dash clicking I was thinking under the motor box. 
My 2000 Sport just did the same idenical thing to me during a week at the lake but the clicking was at the starter relay. Ended up being a battery with good volts but not under the load of starting.
Replaced the 24MS battery (PO installed)  with a group 65 and new solder on battery clamps, no more problem. 

Still would check for low voltage as these GT-40s don't like to start with low voltage. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic