Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 dash gauge removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
whorne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whorne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 dash gauge removal
    Posted: July-06-2021 at 8:03pm
I am removing gauges from a 1990 ski nautique dash to put in another dash I'm sure it is simple but how do yo remove gauges and reinstall.  gauges seem stuck and don t want to risk breaking or damaging.  thanks
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2021 at 2:33pm
There should be two small nuts on the back.  Remove those all the way and the gauges should release from the bracket.  If it seems stuck gently rotate or rock it from side to side and it should come right out.  Maybe take a pic and post so we can see.  After 22 years things can get stuck feeling from buildup of whatever gets in on and around it over the years.  Completely rewired my 91 dash a few years ago and some of the gauges were tight.  Good luck.
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
Bamanautique91 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bamanautique91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 12:26am
Originally posted by 91NaughtyQ 91NaughtyQ wrote:

There should be two small nuts on the back.  Remove those all the way and the gauges should release from the bracket.  If it seems stuck gently rotate or rock it from side to side and it should come right out.  Maybe take a pic and post so we can see.  After 22 years things can get stuck feeling from buildup of whatever gets in on and around it over the years.  Completely rewired my 91 dash a few years ago and some of the gauges were tight.  Good luck.

Did you just wore like it was or run all new wiring? You happen to have a wiring diagram? Was thinking about rewiring my 91. Thank you.
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2021 at 8:21am
Hey sorry for the late response -  I rewired it completely.  I ran another hot and ground from the block to the dash and then rewired dash.  I ended the ground behind the dash into a grounding terminal block.  Everything behind the dash now has a solid ground to the block and a new positive wire as well.  As far as wiring diagrams -  I think they were all hand done back then - at least mine looks like it was-  Just start undoing the daisy chain and replacing each wire as you go.  I can try to get some pics if you want.  It took care of the infamous "chirp" when pressing the switch for nav and anchor lights.  It also allowed my perfect pass to function.  Good luck.
1991 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bamanautique91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2022 at 1:28pm
If you run across this again and do have some pics I would love to see them.  Thanks again!
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Bamanautique91 Bamanautique91 wrote:

If you run across this again and do have some pics I would love to see them.  Thanks again!

What are you looking for specifically -  Let me know and I can get you some pics or message me and I will give you my number and we can talk about it and possibly video call.  -  

Thanks,

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bamanautique91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2022 at 3:55pm
So you ran a new ground(guage?) To a buss block. Then just ran each guage to that block instead of the daisy chain correct?

On the positive side did you just run a new wire(guage) to the from the output side of the ignition breaker to the buss block, then connected all the positives from the gauges to that block?

Thank you again for your reply.
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 8:38am
Let me check on the gauge wire.  It was pretty stout.  I will go out there this evening and snag some pictures for you.  I can take a quick video if you want. Message me and I will send you my number. 
1991 Ski Nautique
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 10:04am
Here is a few pictures of mine:

I also added a USB and 12V charge port:

I used the same gauge wire that was used originally for all the instruments, 18 gauge I think.  I used 16 gauge for the feed from the breaker to the bus bar.   The wire gauge used wasn't the problem it was the design.  Daisy chains etc..

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 10:08am
Here is a link to one of the original threads unfortunately all the pictures are gone after the site hack.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 10:44am
The gauge wire I thought he was referring to was the concurrent HOT and GROUNDS.  
1991 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 10:46am
Also, Excellent cable management work there sir. Looks good, but yeah that is pretty much identical to what I did under the dash for the daisy mess.

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 11:07am
From the engine to the dash I ran 10 gauge.  Probably overkill since it's in parallel with the existing wiring but more copper doesn't hurt.  Also, I ran a dedicated wire from the ignition breaker to the key switch.  I couldn't think of any reason to run the ignition voltage through the bus bar.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 11:49am
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2022 at 12:01pm
I did the same thing with same ga wires.  I tapped pos in right where the existing positive came in to the dash. 
1991 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic