Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RR 351 long block

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2021 at 9:01am
SOLD. Thanks Frank very nice to meet you.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2021 at 8:00pm
Good luck Frank 
Keep us posted on your progress.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2021 at 6:05pm
Very informative discussion. I'm curious though, if this particular issue can be corrected with the later model rudders that have the integrated adjustable trim tab. I think those rudders were on the longer hull boats, like Sports and such....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2021 at 7:25am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Very informative discussion. I'm curious though, if this particular issue can be corrected with the later model rudders that have the integrated adjustable trim tab. I think those rudders were on the longer hull boats, like Sports and such....

If this particular issue is the lean because of engine torque with a normal vs a reverse rotation setup, then the rudder tabs will do nothing to change that.

You must be wondering about this because you bought a Hydrodyne with a LH prop ?   Wink
FrankBee3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankBee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2021 at 1:30pm
Hello Burton!

I just wanted to follow up with you and update this thread. 

The engine that you sold me is in very good condition. There was some rust in a couple of cylinders and a few specks on the first camshaft lobe. I was able to clean the rust off and have a useable block and cam. I don't think the engine had ever been overhauled because all of the pistons, bearings and camshaft have Ford logos and original part numbers. The bores are useable at standard size and so is the crankshaft. This is a best case engine overhaul. So basically, a ring, bearing and gasket set overhaul. The only challenge I have at the moment is to find a distributer gear for the reverse rotation camshaft. 

It took a long time to get to this point since I had to go buy a set of micrometers and inside bore micrometers. I bought everything used and ended up with great tools to tackle this job. 

In the meantime, I have decided to outsource the floor and stringer job to a shop while I rebuild the engine and re-index the velvet drive oil pump. 

I am working up a parts list now and hope to order the parts as soon as finances permit.

I am currently looking for a reverse rotation distributer gear, or whole distributer.

Does anyone have a photo of dashboard/instruments of an original 1984 Correct Craft Ski Nautique? I would like to find and install all of the original engine gauges. I do have the original speedometers and I think the tach. Everything else is aftermarket automotive gauges that work. 
1984 Ski Nautique, project bigger than anticipated
Staring down a stringer and floor replacement
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2021 at 7:48pm
Here's a picture of an 83 or 84 (basically the same those two years) from somewhere here on CCF

Looks pretty normal except for that thing to the left of the ignition fuse

Gauges on the left are temp, oil and volts from top to bottom

Gauges on the right are hours and fuel top to bottom

Bilge drain plug in a good storage spot on the steering wheel  Wink

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2021 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by FrankBee3 FrankBee3 wrote:

I am currently looking for a reverse rotation distributer gear, or whole distributer.

I've never bought anything from these guys in the link but they have a RR 351w gear that'll fit a Prestolite distributor if that's what you have right now, if you want to spend 150 bucks for it or they have a HEI 351w RR distributor for 490 bucks that resembles a DUI HEI distributor.

If I was gonna get a whole distributor though, the "CCF choice" would be the DUI HEI in the link below

You'd want the 351w Windsor(7000 rpm) with RR gear 460 bucks

Here's a link to one at Summit Racing

The RR in the part number is the most important part, it tells you it's for a reverse rotation engine (M35820 RRBL) The BL is for a blue cap.

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2021 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

If this particular issue is the lean because of engine torque with a normal vs a reverse rotation setup, then the rudder tabs will do nothing to change that.

You must be wondering about this because you bought a Hydrodyne with a LH prop ?   Wink

Ha! I just saw this! Too funny. With that said it just arrived in Chapel Hill yesterday for its winters nap in a toasty warm garage (thanks mom) ;-)
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by FrankBee3 FrankBee3 wrote:

Hello Burton!

I just wanted to follow up with you and update this thread. 

The engine that you sold me is in very good condition. There was some rust in a couple of cylinders and a few specks on the first camshaft lobe. I was able to clean the rust off and have a useable block and cam. I don't think the engine had ever been overhauled because all of the pistons, bearings and camshaft have Ford logos and original part numbers. The bores are useable at standard size and so is the crankshaft. This is a best case engine overhaul. So basically, a ring, bearing and gasket set overhaul. The only challenge I have at the moment is to find a distributer gear for the reverse rotation camshaft. 

It took a long time to get to this point since I had to go buy a set of micrometers and inside bore micrometers. I bought everything used and ended up with great tools to tackle this job. 

In the meantime, I have decided to outsource the floor and stringer job to a shop while I rebuild the engine and re-index the velvet drive oil pump. 

I am working up a parts list now and hope to order the parts as soon as finances permit.

Does anyone have a photo of dashboard/instruments of an original 1984 Correct Craft Ski Nautique? I would like to find and install all of the original engine gauges. I do have the original speedometers and I think the tach. Everything else is aftermarket automotive gauges that work. 

Frank,
Sorry for the late reply but I am very happy to hear that the engine is going to work out for you.  It sounds like you are on the right track in getting your boat back to a reliable and safe Correct Craft and I believe you will be happy in the long run.  Please keep us posted as to your progress.  We all enjoy a story about another CC that has been saved.  Best of luck

-burton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic