Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water from main drain plug while on trailer?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
erm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water from main drain plug while on trailer?
    Posted: June-20-2021 at 9:58am
Hi, 2005 Air Nautique SV211 removed from lake Yesterday.

Trailered 1 km to house where it sat overnight on trailer.

Next morning drain plug removed and cover installed in anticipation of long journey.

Half an hour later, nobody near the boat and seemingly nothing to trigger it, about 3-4 liters of water came gushing out of the main drain.

What could account for this?

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 12:06pm
Not familiar with SV211 and what drains into the bilge, but if a cooler or ski compartment had water in it, and weepholes plugged, they may have decided at that moment to unplug and drain into the bilge.  Same if you have a leaf or something blocking the drain hole, a few liters doesn't have enough flow to flush it out right away, may have cleared the drain at that moment.

Was it the stern drain plug that you removed?  Or in hull T-handle drain?  Again not knowing the boat, I'm assuming there is both.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
erm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 12:12pm
It was the t-handled drain plug just in front of the engine accessed through the floor door in front of rear seat.

Thanks, newbie here so much appreciated.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 12:25pm
I know you said the boat is covered and ready for the trip, but maybe take a look in the bilge to make sure no more water trapped there, and if you want run a hose in to make sure the drain is clear.  Or I suppose just look in the drain hole from under the trailer at a minimum.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 10:54pm
My 2002 Sport has two drain plugs. On tee handle under the engine and one brass plug in the transom.  Near the exhaust outlet. This is the plug I use when I use the boat. When I pull it out of the lake, I remove that rear plug and if there is any water in the bilge it comes out while on the ramp. 

Your rubber and your drive shaft have a packaging that might be letting in water. Those two packings may need to be adjusted.  Typically, it is the drive shaft packaging that can be the issue. Sounds like your drain was plugged that the water finally forced the blockage away. 

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic