NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muffler repair 92 SPN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muffler repair 92 SPN
    Posted: June-16-2021 at 2:56pm
Been getting more water than expected in hull lately, popped engine cover and found a hole in the exhaust downpipe directly at the joint to the main resonator/chamber (whatever that is called?).  Hole is pea sized.

I am planning on just filling with G-Flex from the outside and putting a little bit of mat over it after some sanding of the surrounding area.  Temporarily I put a large hose clamp around the pipe (plus zip ties since it was hard to get the clamp to the very very top of the pipe) with a piece of neoprene over the hole and this has basically cut it to a very very small dribble.  

I am posting because I am suspicious that this may have been repaired before (see pics) or that I should be otherwise concerned.  It seems odd for a hole to just open up like that and in that location...although that might be a natural stress point with engine vibrations...

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2021 at 12:32pm
I recently had a crack in my muffler of my 2002 ski nautique. I used bondo glass to fix the crack and it has worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Bondo-272-Bondo-Glass-Fiberglass-Reinforced/dp/B000VKZ3JM

Of course make sure you clean the area really well before using and let the resin cure correctly. I sanded down the muffler and cleaned with acetone before applying the bondo glass.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2021 at 1:08pm
I used GFlex for my muffler repair because it was easy to work with while the muffler was in place, it didn't run or sag. GFlex wets out woven cloth fiberglass pretty well, but you may find it a little difficult to saturate mat. I had places where I needed to bond to the inner PVC pipes. GFlex works really well at bonding to other plastic materials. 

It looks like the metal support on the muffler body got loose and rubbed up against the muffler originally. Whether the hole is just from an inadequate repair or not is hard to say. I was surprised at how little glass was used wrapping some of the joints in my muffler. But it did last 26 years... You might consider reversing the support so the end faces in and the bend faces the worn area. It might even be good to bend the support a little. If the muffler is strapped down securely you shouldn't have that issue again. 

If you take the muffler off be sure to shake it some. That was how I found out my inner baffle had come loose. My muffler is much more quiet since I fixed that too.

You really can't go wrong on this repair, because you can always add more fiberglass! I have yet to see a muffler that was not repairable.
pedricd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedricd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2021 at 9:04am
Thanks both of you... I haven't been able to attempt the repair, I will likely patch with the gflex and a layer of mat and potentially pull the muffler at the end of the season (it does rumble a bit at very low RPM so perhaps a baffle is loose internally...

I got distracted by some storms a week ago...lift is toast (uprights are actually bent), boat undamaged...other lifts had their tops completely sheared off and flew up hills over 400 feet:

nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2021 at 10:47am
Whoa! Glad to hear the boat was unscathed. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic