Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Video - Holley 4160 Carburetor Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video - Holley 4160 Carburetor Rebuild
    Posted: June-06-2021 at 1:12pm
I am no expert but I thought some people here may appreciate a video of me rebuilding my Holley 4160 Carburetor off of my 1980 Ski Nautique

https://youtu.be/iYxAjYwsvuw

Any feedback is appreciated.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 6:01pm
I kinda like your style but for starters, you really didn't clean any of the metering passages.

Carb cleaner and compressed air are your friends.

The spray cleaner hardly got used and there was no compressed air.

The carburetor list number (50483)you gave is "not quite right", I think if you read it again you'll see 50463 stamped there Wink

50483 is a Holley 4010 model carburetor and that 6  can be misread pretty easily as an 8. You got a carb kit for a 4160 though that works with a 50463

You're also missing the primary float bowl vent baffle. It wasn't there when you took it apart so it would be kinda hard to put it back in if you never had it.

Got some other comments that I'll send by PM if you want them.

Here's a picture of the vent baffle that you're missing on the primary metering block. (It really goes underneath the gasket not above like in the photo)

Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 9:05pm
Great points. I did clean the passages with the carb cleaner however it was off camera. They were all quite good and not too dirty and allowed the cleaner to flow through.

I may have mis-read the carb# on camera, I will double check. I was more thorough when ordering the rebuild kit.

Interesting about the baffle. Do you know what difference it would make not having it?

Feel free to post more info here or PM me I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2021 at 10:00pm
I was just reviewing the footage and I do seem to have the baffle.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Wacko Wacko wrote:

I was just reviewing the footage and I do seem to have the baffle.

Yep hiding there all along, black on a black gasket Wink

Another thing is at around the 33:35 point you mention greasing the new O ring on the accelerator pump transfer tube. I don't know if you took the tube out of the metering block or not but there's the same O ring on the other end. Sometimes that tube comes out really hard due to things like the O ring hardening, but putting a new O ring in there is a good thing to do

The genuine Holley kit usually has the right gaskets too like the bowl to metering block gasket that was missing and the carb body to throttle plate gasket that was "close". It doesn't come with the secondary diaphragm though in most cases, so you'd be buying that separately..

There are a few spots with terminology differences, but they hardly matter

There are lots of little differences in the carburetors over the years, but I think you did a good job on yours and if you tried to cover all these differences it would just make a mess of your otherwise very good video.

The filming, editing, putting it all together seem great to me (that means it's a lot better than I could do Wink)

I checked out a few of your other videos too and liked what I saw.

PS.........Someday maybe I'll figure out why this website just mysteriously changes the font in peoples posts

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic