Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KennyO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Problems
    Posted: May-23-2021 at 7:20am
1999 Sport Nautique - 5.8 (not GT40) with a PCM-40A transmission with less than 500 hrs.

Just got the boat this year so I do not know the history. Yesterday I noticed for the first time the transmission slipping a bit in forward gear. Open the hatch and there is transmission fluid in the bilge. Checked the fluid level and it didn't register on the stick.

So obviously I have a substantial leak, but what else should I be looking for? I will pull up the floor boards and look at the rear seal. What else?  It it is a leaking rear sea, is it possible or advisable to replace only the seal or should I be thinking rebuilt/replace?
1999 Sport Nautique
1988 2001 (sold)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2021 at 7:29am
There's also a front seal that can cause a leak. Take a closer look an if the leak seams to be coming from the bell housing, then it's the front seal. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2021 at 8:02am
also check hose connections to oil cooler,  May be an easy fix there,
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2021 at 4:05pm
Hopefully you didn’t slip it to much and started burning up the forward clutch pack. Like they said above those are your most common spots they’ll leak from and if you do decide to get it rebuilt give us a call and we can take care of it              330-273-8291
You break it I’ll fix it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic