NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuffing box

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Slalom fan 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuffing box
    Posted: May-07-2021 at 9:58pm
I'm trying to replace my stuffing box packing on my 93 sport but that little stainlesd collar on the shaft just a few inches in front of the packing nut is in the way. It has two Allen head set screws one I can loosen and it frees up the collar a little but enough to slide it forward, the other screw won't budge. What is this for and how do I move it?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 11:07pm
It keeps the shaft from slipping out the back should it come loose from the tranny.
If the set screws are not stripped soak them.  PB blaster, Kroil are popular but a mix of 50/50 acetone and ATF, automatic transmission fluid works about the best.  Soak the screws and give the mix time to soak in.  Overnight at least.  If that does not work you can always add heat but not to much if you plan to keep that shaft.  Before spending to much time you can drill out the set screw and tap the collar to the next larger size or get a new collar.
Last option use a cut off saw, dremmel or angle grinder with a fine blade and carefully cut the old collar but it should not get to that.
Mark
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 11:07pm
That is a safety collar. If your shaft ever comes out of the coupling that collar prevents the shaft from sliding back and jamming into the rudder. If done at speed the prop jambs into the rudder and sometimes the strut gets torn off. After all that happens you then find water coming into the boat through that 1 inch hole and through where the strut once was. If you cannot get that set screw out with heat and lube you will have to cut it off. Split collars are available for replacement. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Slalom fan 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 11:12pm
Ok thanks much for the info.
UrSofaKingLucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrSofaKingLucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2021 at 2:06am
Use heat and Candle wax.  As a Machinist by trade, this is the one trick that ALWAYS works.

Heat up the collar until the wax melts, melt wax on the screw head, and just let the heat wick the wax into the threads, when it cools it should just turn right out.

Old school, but amazingly effective.
88 Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic