Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 year layup restart

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 year layup restart
    Posted: May-04-2021 at 7:33pm
1986 PCM 351. Missed last summer boating due to covid. Engine hasn't run for nearly 2 years. What's recommended for starting? Upper cylinder lube?
'86 Martinique,351 PCM
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 7:27am
I guess nobody wants to answer your question 

You can probably get a whole big variety of answers to this, but not knowing how it was put away/winterized, I'd go about starting it the same way you do after a one winter layup.

You could drain the gas and put new in or add some new gas to what's there or just fire it up on the old stuff ( this will guarantee a bunch of responses for you by the way Wink ) depending on how much is in the tank.

If you want to circulate some oil before firing it up, pull the plugs and turn it over with the starter for 15 seconds or so and you'll see pressure on your gauge.

It just had a longer nap, it'll wake up just fine as long as it survived the big freeze this past winter down your way with no freeze related issues.

Just one guys opinion Wink
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 11:33am

You’re going to get many different scenarios on what to do. If you stored the boat correctly after the last time out on the water then it will fire up. Not knowing if your boat been sitting outside or in a heated garage or in a cave like here in the midwest, if it is me, I would first do:

Change the oil and filter

Make sure your battery is still good and holds a charge.

Check the tranny on fluid level.

Prime the gas line to the carburetor so it will fire up quicker along with some starter fluid

to the carb.

Then start her up at home first.

Then go from there to see if you have any issues.

That’s pretty much a standard spring start up for me…..

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 12:11pm
My Hercules was laid up for 18 years.  Fogged at layup, gas drained from carb, never turned over during the layup. Battery hooked up fuel primed and started. 

My Y block for 3 years. Same procedure and no problems. 

Philip, 
I feel you are over thinking this issue. . 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 12:48pm
Thanks for the assurance.
'86 Martinique,351 PCM
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 1:21pm
Don’t pick up the can of starting fluid.  I like KenO’s advice. I also like to squirt a small amount of oil into the cylinders when I pull the plugs prior to cranking.  Put 2-3 tablespoons of gas directly into the carburetor bore just before attempting to fire the engine up.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

My Hercules was laid up for 18 years.  
My Y block for 3 years.

Pete I remember that, those were some cold winters. That really put a crimp into your 2 week boating season,I'll bet the ice never melted Wink

Holman Moody who I understood knew a little about engines advised in their manual to remove the valve covers and manually oil the valve train. But PCM made it so difficult to take them off!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 2:12pm
The right thing to do would be to pull the distributor and run the oil pump drive shaft with a CCW drill.  Then you’ll have an excuse to set the timing!

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 5:35pm

My Hercules was laid up for 18 years.  Fogged at layup, gas drained from carb, never turned over during the layup. Battery hooked up fuel primed and started. 

Philip, 

Um Pete.............your mind is slipping or the stories are blending together or your Dunphy has spent multiple years out of the water multiple times or something.

Here's a link to your relaxing paddle back to the dock after a 6 year nap last Fathers Day

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Philip, 

Um Pete.............your mind is slipping or the stories are blending together or your Dunphy has spent multiple years out of the water multiple times or something.

Here's a link to your relaxing paddle back to the dock after a 6 year nap last Fathers Day

Um Ken, no my mind isn't slipping nor has your badgering. I've had the X for over 40 years so just maybe there was a 3 year span in there that it didn't see water like when I put the new bottom on it? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 7:18pm
Like I said Pete..............."multiple years out of the water multiple times" Wink

So when you throw around all your silly numbers about going "x" number of years without looking at your points or your impeller etc. maybe you should qualify those statements with something like "but the boat didn't get used for "x" number of those years".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic