Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 ski Nautique steering issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fresno1995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fresno1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 ski Nautique steering issue
    Posted: April-12-2021 at 1:19am
new  to  this  .   Please   need  some  help   with  1995 garage  find   ski  Nautique.      Steering  was   two handed  driving  last  year.  
Had  a plan to  order  steering cable  in december   from Nautique Parts  .  Ordered  the  OEM    cable.     Got  is   switched  out  ,  greased  the  tube  in  back  and  helm  up  front.      Got  it  in the  water  for  a  test   drive   and   worked   fine   until   I  took  a  turn  around  the  turn island on man made lake  and  had  to  go  with  two   hands .    placed  in  neutral  and   steering  was  fine .   under a load  and  in  turns it   is  tight .   Do  i  have  a  rudder   box   issue  ?     

thank You 
Glenn in Fresno
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 8:02am
Likely yes. I did the same thing. I replaced my steering cable convinced it was my problem while neglecting the rudder. Re-packed my rudder and that solved it.

Grab your rudder and see if it has a lot of play. There is a good YouTube about how much play you should have.

I sent a message to Nautique parts to figure out what size packing rope. Get extra it’s cheap and it’s harder to cut the right size than you think - just takes a little practice.

The FAQ here about repacking the rudder I believe is a similar year SN as yours
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 12:09pm
Re-pack the shaft seal and apply grease to the rudder shaft zerk fitting.  That should help significantly. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 5:11pm
Curious..what prop is on it?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2021 at 3:11pm
Make sure your packing nut is properly tightened against the jam nut on your rudder port.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic