NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Boat - Parts & Advice Needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Boat - Parts & Advice Needed
    Posted: April-08-2021 at 11:48am
After 7 years of skiing, cruising, upgrading, and getting married in my 176.....the time came for something a little bigger for our needs. It is going to a good friend who lives close so I will still get to see her on a regualar basis. 

In the meantime, I purchased a 1999 Ski Nautique 196 CB from a guy in Alabama. He took good care of the boat but replaced a few components with aftermarket parts over the years. 

I spent the first few days cleaning up the electrical system. It was wired for a 2 battery system with a large amp and subwoofer that took up most of the ski locker. Then I replaced the steering wheel, cap, rotor, ignition wires, impellor, prop (put my 422 on it) and spark plugs. It has the "Pro Boss" carbureted 351 with the HO heads and runs very smooth. 

Now for the punch list. 

1. The tach is not original. The PO says the tach stopped working a while ago and he had a mechanic replace it with an aftermarket Feria. The Feria is a little "jumpy" at low RPMs. The needle swings around a little bit and I think it is indicating too high at idle. I bought (at great expense) an original 90s tach that is NIB. My question is......is there a way to run the hours up to indicate the accurate hull hours? I see people hooking up pulse modulators to the Feria's to run them up but I am not sure if there is a better (simpler) way to do it on these old girls. 

Also, do these come calibrated for 8 cylinder engines or is there something I should do before installation to adjust that?  
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 12:01pm
Part II

Does anyone have an original 90s ski mirror. More accurately, a ski mirror bracket. It looks like the mirrors themselves are still available but the brackets are not.

At some point the PO lost the original swim platform bracket pins. I do not need OEM pins but I am looking for something that is not sharp if a swimmer/skier puts their foot up there. It looks like the holes are 5/32" (at least that is the drill bit I used to size it) and McMaster Carr does not have wire lock pins that small of diameter. I could always make something on the lathe but thought I would ask her first to see if there is an easy option. 

If anyone has a picture of the "glove net" on the back of the doghouse, I would like to see it. I can probably make one pretty easily but I haven't found a good template to base it off.   
1999 Ski Nautique 196
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 12:31pm
Here's your tach picture with a white line drawn to the middle of the hole that has a setting screw in it.

The slot in the screw should be aimed at 8C for an 8 cylinder engine

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 12:33pm
I figured that was the case but didn't want to assume. I wish there were instructions with this tach.

Thanks Ken!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 5:37pm
Nice. It’s not a “196” though, I’ll save TRB the typing.

Mirror brackets come up on eBay now and then.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 5:41pm
Chris, that is a dream boat for slalom skiing. I can’t wait to see it in person. I love the color scheme. You are going to have a very big bunch of fans on the lake after they ski it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Nice. It’s not a “196” though, I’ll save TRB the typing.

Mirror brackets come up on eBay now and then.

Oh........what is it "called"?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 7:39pm
All models of open and closed bow from 1997 through 2002 were called ‘Ski Nautique”. However, in 2002 the open bow version with an added tower was called the “Air Nautique 196” to differentiate it from the Sport Nautique model with the tower option the was called the “Air Nautique”. In 2003 the open bow model Ski Nautique was discontinued and replaced by the “Ski Nautique 206”. The closed bow model was continued as the “Ski Nautique 196” until 2009. 
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 7:42pm
I meant to say “through” 2009. The “Ski Nautique 200” was all new for 2010.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 8:44pm
So I have a 19'6" Ski Nautique.

Got it.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 9:33pm
I will go through my garage to see if I have a Mirror bracket. I do have a PCM water fuel separator if that will fit your setup. It’s still in the wrapper.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 12:35am
Nice boat. You will love the TSC1 hull.  Great slalom wake. The accent stripe qualifies you for membership on Team RED.  Welcome.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 8:42am
The redesigned 2002 Ski Nautique closed bow TSC2 received the 196 name and badging. This was particularly helpful since the new open bow model that came out in 2003 was a different length.

The Ski Nautique closed and open bow were the same length on the previous hull, hence no further recognition was necessary.

Good candidate for a roller cam rebuild...
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

It has the "Pro Boss" carbureted 351 with the HO heads and runs very smooth.
Mikeski2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 12:32pm
I have a good mirror off a 2000 that is available for the cost shipping if you want it. I’m not sure if it’s identical to what you want but it’s an option. It’s just in a box right now. I replaced it with a wide angle
Mike
Mike
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2021 at 7:53am
Mike, thank you for the mirror. That was very kind and it will have a good home.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2021 at 8:01am
Typically a day late and a dollar short, I dug mine out of my garage during a late spring clean-up. If anyone else needs one like the one Mike sent to Chris, just PM me and I’ll get it to ya.
Mikeski2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2021 at 8:27am
Glad you can use it.
Mike
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic