NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 10:48am

One of the challenges will be making the exhaust work, where the old 6 has a single, small straight copper pipe. Aside from joining the two sides of a 302 exhaust, I'd imagine it should be larger all the way out through the transom. I'm likely to be directly involved in the fitting of this engine. I'm lucky to already be talking with someone like Art, he's been great to talk to already. 
[/QUOTE]

If you would rather not cut another hole in the transom, you might consider upsizing the existing hole to accomodate a 3-!/2" exhaust outlet (or even 3" if the run isn't very long)  Centek sells all sorts of fiberglass fittings and tubing for exhaust applications, You could get a Y fitting in whatever size you choose and tie the two exhausts into one.  If there is room in the bilge for it, you could even incorporate a muffler if you so desire.  I don't think Centek will sell directly to the consumer anymore, but I think that either SkiDim.com or NautiqueParts.com should be able to order anything that you might need. 
"Art"
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 11:22am

Thanks, I do think we'll be making the existing transom exhaust hole larger. The boat will go into the shop for some more detailed measuring when we get to that point. I could probably determine the feasibility of a muffler at that time. My ears ring plenty already and I'm only 40 so I'd love to get the decibels down just a bit. 

Thanks again, Art, you've been a huge help so far. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2021 at 9:49pm
Well I thought I'd give an update to this thread, so here goes:

Art Cozier has been nothing short of a hero in this quest to get a new engine in this boat. He's been in constant communication in his effort to get us this engine, and as is inevitable, it's been complicated. But he is always thinking 3 or 4 steps ahead and between the two of us, we just might make this work. I have a close friend at the marina where I used to work, so we've got all the resources we could want. 

Last week, the engine Art has been working on all summer arrived at our location up here in New Hampshire, in one piece and looking great, unsurprisingly. I can't wait to get this thing fitted up into the wooden boat and get my father-in-law out on the water, along with his grandkids (my kids!) as I expect this boat will become my problem, er, "mine" ... before all that many years pass. 

So we're not up and running yet, but I can't thank Art enough for all the work he's done to get us to this point, which is having a running engine in the same building as the boat that I haven't driven since before my wife and I got married 13 years ago, which we could have taken away from our wedding if not for the issues it has suffered. The structural issues were resolved but the engine has been its weakness. I can't wait to get this thing going again, and thanks to Art, it looks like it might actually happen. 

Stay tuned folks. And thank you, Art. 

Oh, as a side note - Art hasn't moved one penny from the price he quoted me back in May, despite countless hours of his own labor and everything else he's done up to this point. I'd love to give him and his wife a nice night out at a local restaurant or something. And even though I know he'll probably see this, does anyone know the area well enough to give me some ideas? 

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 2:45pm
Thank you for the kind words.  Make a trip to Florida sometime in the not-too-distant future and we'll all go out for a dinner or whatever. 
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2021 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Thank you for the kind words.  Make a trip to Florida sometime in the not-too-distant future and we'll all go out for a dinner or whatever. 

Thanks, Art. I hope to get down to Florida in March, actually. In the meantime I've got an engine to install! 
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2021 at 9:04pm
Great!  Let me know when you set your plans and we'll meet up someplace for lunch or dinner!
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2021 at 10:38pm
I'm moving this project over to another thread, so I don't keep bumping this thread with a now-misleading title. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic