NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Catastrophe during sea trials

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catastrophe during sea trials
    Posted: March-29-2021 at 7:42am
Sea trials with the Mustang have been going on for a couple weeks now. Seems like every time out a new problem pops up. I went over the Ignition and carb and the boat finally ran out great . I was idling in drive and noticed a different sound in the engine . I opened the hood and it was hot looked at the gauge 190 Shocked . Lots of pollen and debri in the water from storm I thought the pick up was clocked. Next I looked at the Impeller .It was shredded .I removed pisces from the pump T stat installed a new impeller [ I always carry a spare] and made it home. Exhaust hoses were collapsed . I looked for impeller pieces in the pump and  T stat. Is there any other places I should look?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 7:54am
That's just a mild setbackWink

Sometimes those impeller parts sneak into the suction line and restrict the flow into the pump, so pulling the line from the transmission cooler to the pump and flushing it out would be a good idea Also see if any pieces made it all the way back to the transmission cooler, illogical as it may sound..

Also the lines to the manifolds from the thermostat housing and the manifold inlets themselves.

Basically every cooling hose and component in the cooling system
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 6:56am
I was thinking the same thing . I took the entire cooling system apart I found some air leaks in the suction side of the hoses between the raw water pump and the trans cooler but no more impeller parts.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 9:00am
So, it looks like with some new hoses the SS Tweety can go back out and resume sea trials again Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 12:59pm
If you have all the pieces saved try and assemble the old impeller.  You may see what is still missing or if you are already good.  Any large pieces missing could cause you trouble.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 1:33pm
Crazy (or stupid) as it may sound, we had a heck of a time finding blockage after a similar incident.  Ended up finding a few pieces wedged inside the raw water pump between the impeller housing and the outlet. Not sure how they were missed when installing a new impeller but it happens.  We were pleased to find them as the next step was to remove the heads Confused Check & double check....then check again.  
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

If you have all the pieces saved try and assemble the old impeller.  You may see what is still missing or if you are already good.  Any large pieces missing could cause you trouble.

Great idea
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic