Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Losing power 94 ski nautique pro boss

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mweber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing power 94 ski nautique pro boss
    Posted: March-16-2021 at 5:40pm
Boat runs fine on idle, but hesitates and dogs down when load applied. Any easy fix ideas before taking into a mechanic? Smells like it is running rich. ???
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2021 at 6:07pm
Since I get easily confused on Pro Boss stuff, is this

Fuel Injected or a carburetor?

ProTec ignition or a conventional distributor?

Mweber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2021 at 8:37pm
Carburetor and protec ignition
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2021 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Mweber Mweber wrote:

Carburetor and protec ignition

With the info you gave, it's kinda hard to give any kind of good answer without a better description of the problem but since it's a ProTec ignition system, there are plenty of people around here who will automatically jump up and say it's the ProTec system failing and recommend replacing it with a distributor, with the argument that if it isn't failing , it eventually will fail.

It could easily be that you have fuel system/carburetor issues though instead of ignition system problems.

Is the boat new to you or have you had it a while and this just came up?

Can you give a more detailed description of what is happening?

Nauti Gator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti Gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2021 at 11:42pm
I don't know how much you want to invest - but my '93 SNOB runs amazing after replacing both the carb and the Protec.  I have a new Holley along with the DUI distributor.  CCF Forum was lots of help with the upgrades.  Best investments I have ever made in my Nauti Gator.
Erikgundy98 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikgundy98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2021 at 9:46pm
Hey, did you follow a write up or do you know if one, that shows pictures of what to leave and what to take off when going through this. 

I am a little lost with some of the instructions on the distributor literature. 

Thanks!
Erik
fahtal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fahtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2021 at 2:34am
can you check the spark plugs. maybe they can indicate it is running to rich. 

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2021 at 10:27pm
Bogging down is a typical symptom of a problem with the carb’s accelerator circuit.  We need a bit more info for a better diagnosis.  
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti Gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2021 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Erikgundy98 Erikgundy98 wrote:

Hey, did you follow a write up or do you know if one, that shows pictures of what to leave and what to take off when going through this. 

I am a little lost with some of the instructions on the distributor literature. 

Thanks!
Erik

I spent some time researching this site - there were quite a few detailed posts about the conversion.  Jonny Quest was also very helpful regarding some specific questions I had.  We ran it hard all day last Friday and Saturday and it performed flawless.  I have the Davis Unified Ignition along with their "live wires".  Last fall I set the old ProTech ignition in a box and its now completely stuck in the box from all the goo ozzing out of the ProTech.  And I have a Holly carbed 351 with GT40 heads.  I'm happy to help with any pics / info you need.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2021 at 10:26am
Gator:

I'm glad the engine is running well.  You won't regret the DUI system.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti Gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2021 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Gator:

JQ

Jonny - one thing I keep wondering is why anyone would replace the original Protec with a pointless distributor and still have to run a coil and resistor?

The DUI is self contained and was an easy install - I think 2 wires if I remember.  

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2021 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Nauti Gator Nauti Gator wrote:

Gator:

JQ

Jonny - one thing I keep wondering is why anyone would replace the original Protec with a pointless distributor and still have to run a coil and resistor?

The DUI is self contained and was an easy install - I think 2 wires if I remember.  

And here I always thought the DUI had one of those things called a coil, mounted on top of the distributor cap Wink

What are those other 3 wires that are associated with the DUI?  They seems to have something to do with that big thing on top of the cap
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti Gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2021 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by Nauti Gator Nauti Gator wrote:

Gator:

JQ

And here I always thought the DUI had one of those things called a coil, mounted on top of the distributor cap Wink

What are those other 3 wires that are associated with the DUI?  They seems to have something to do with that big thing on top of the cap

That's true!   I should have said "external coil"  Wacko
Its compact and works well - so far so good!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic